Talk

Advanced search

What does it look like, equality?

(104 Posts)
BuffytheScaryFeministBOO Mon 23-Nov-15 07:12:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHorrid Mon 23-Nov-15 07:53:20

Interesting, would have liked to hear what her solutions are. Instead you just get "and this is why equalities rubbish."

CuttedUpPear Mon 23-Nov-15 08:04:04

That's a lot of question marks.
The writer's assumption is that equality means dumbing down to mens' way of doing things.

Although a world without male violence is a good start.

cadnowyllt Mon 23-Nov-15 09:25:56

I wonder where Smith puts all that hate when she wants a day off. Must be horrible for her, poor thing.

BuffytheScaryFeministBOO Mon 23-Nov-15 09:31:04

cadnowyllt Mon 23-Nov-15 09:49:20

I dare say and she is fully committed - but what happens on her days off - as it were, not to be taken literally.

WindyMillersProbationOfficer Mon 23-Nov-15 09:55:53

Maybe she hangs around on a discussion forum for a cause she blatantly disagrees with and has no interest in other than to wind up? Maybe.

cadnowyllt Mon 23-Nov-15 10:00:14

Nah

BuffytheScaryFeministBOO Mon 23-Nov-15 10:08:19

GreenTomatoJam Mon 23-Nov-15 10:22:52

That woman would be a kick ass Business Analyst (the person who figures out how a program should work, and what effects that will have, and what could go wrong and what should happen if it does).

The entire article reads like my response to an ill considered change request popping up un my development queue.

BertrandRussell Mon 23-Nov-15 10:34:25

Disconcerting to think that there are people- women as well as men- who think we actually have equality already.........

cadnowyllt Mon 23-Nov-15 10:41:00

Buffy - No you obviously don't. Everybody should have the right to expect that the Police will do their job and stop violence and the threat of violence and deal with the perpetrators in an effective and just way - and I've never said anything but, butt. There's certainly no need for it to be fuelled by hate - good credentials for getting you into a clique though.

FreshwaterSelkie Mon 23-Nov-15 10:45:14

Good article. Lots of good questions. More and more I am thinking of myself as an old-style women's liberationist as that seems more in accord with my feminism than a lot of mainstream feminism does at the moment.

TesticleOfObjectivity Mon 23-Nov-15 10:51:40

The writing style was like a poem. I liked it, it felt a bit like a call to action.

Interesting, would have liked to hear what her solutions are. Instead you just get "and this is why equalities rubbish."

I thought her solution was explained at the beginning and end: to liberate women from gender.

TesticleOfObjectivity Mon 23-Nov-15 10:57:50

Sent too soon.

I thought her opening "gender is inequality" and her ending "So when I say feminism isn’t about equality, it’s about women’s liberation from men’s oppression, this is what I mean." Explained her ideas of solutions. And that the article was more of explaining to everyone who equates feminism with 'equalism' why she thinks we can't just equalise society as it stands, more drastic change is needed.

BuffytheScaryFeministBOO Mon 23-Nov-15 10:58:59

GreenTomatoJam Mon 23-Nov-15 11:03:46

I didn't see hate there - I saw thinking it through, analysis, questions - rather than blithely announcing something with no idea what that actually means.

Not hate. Any more than I hate my fencer when we're talking through what he'll do to replace the fence and what all that actually, practically, means.

TesticleOfObjectivity Mon 23-Nov-15 11:06:19

I can't take credit for the name. A poster used it on another thread. I do love it though. grin

BuffytheScaryFeministBOO Mon 23-Nov-15 11:22:59

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHorrid Mon 23-Nov-15 11:30:18

testicle (love the username by the way).

I'm probably being a bit dense but I couldn't see what her solutions were. Ok she doesn't believe equality is the solution (not entirely convinced on that) but I don't know

A) what the solution is
B) how to implement the solution.

GreenTomatoJam Mon 23-Nov-15 11:41:58

No, she doesn't know the solutions - but at least she's saying that there are some problems to be thought about.

slugseatlettuce Mon 23-Nov-15 11:45:06

DoctorTwo Mon 23-Nov-15 11:47:49

Yes it was originally Helen Lewis, but FloraFox used it on a thread and I used TheTesticlesOfObjectivity to answer a bloke who was Being An Arse. I can't use it now, it would just be confusing. To me especially. grin

I liked the article, it was easy to read and understand. And she's right, gender is the problem along with MVAWG. I'm going to stop now before I have to dig my way back out. grin

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHorrid Mon 23-Nov-15 12:02:11

Hi slugs

I would just like to hear what those radical solutions actually are.

slugseatlettuce Mon 23-Nov-15 12:22:53

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now