Talk

Advanced search

Women 'less likely than men to support fracking, due to instinct'

(12 Posts)
OneofTHOSEWomen Fri 23-Oct-15 20:39:00

www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/oct/23/women-less-likely-than-men-to-support-fracking-due-to-instinct
And...
www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/oct/23/fracking-shale-gas-women

So I've read this over a couple of times and as far as I can see she offers no evidence to explain the why there is a difference in support for fracking, only......

Women think differently to men on a whole range of issues – I am sure both men and women would agree with that statement. Quite properly women don’t take issues on trust. They hear the arguments and on one side there are scientific facts, not necessarily explained in the clearest language, on the other emotional fears.

Isn't this just bad science?, coming from a scientist? Am I missing something?

almondpudding Fri 23-Oct-15 20:55:03

I've read the second link.

Basically what she is saying is that any woman who disagrees with fracking does so because they don't heart science enough because of sexism.

Patronising. They should get a social scientist in to chair onshore oil and gas, or to at least write the articles for her, because that article is a PR fail.

NiceAcorns Fri 23-Oct-15 20:56:49

She's paid by the fracking lobby - therefore stupid on two counts by my reckoning.

And I have informed myself about fracking

FinestGrundyTurkey Fri 23-Oct-15 21:00:47

My reaction to the relative percentages was that men are much too gullible & inclined to believe what A Scientist tells them.

It is patronising tosh (& I didn't realise she is paid by the frackers, Acorns, so thanks for that smile)

almondpudding Fri 23-Oct-15 21:04:15

I took it to mean that men were far more likely to falsely believe they understood the facts around fracking.

OneofTHOSEWomen Fri 23-Oct-15 21:13:17

Oh right, now it all becomes clear. So the fracking industry have employed a women to tell other women they "think differently" are stupid for not agreeing with thier science. Good one, this has really helped your cause frackers.

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHorrid Fri 23-Oct-15 21:14:18

Quite surprised there is such a difference between women and men re views on fracking.

My gut instinct is that these women are more risk adverse than men. So the men are more likely to take it (the scientific) on trust. My gut instinct could well be wrong though.

Egosumquisum Fri 23-Oct-15 21:14:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Egosumquisum Fri 23-Oct-15 21:18:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

almondpudding Fri 23-Oct-15 21:21:54

From her research, according to the Telegraph:

'The research also revealed that women are much less likely than men to know which fossil fuel is produced by fracking. Shale gas was correctly identified by 85 per cent of men but only 65 per cent of women.'

There are a variety of fossil fuels that have been produced by fracking, and can be in the future!

BetaVersion Fri 23-Oct-15 21:29:01

Well I don't support fracking.

I worked in the oil and gas industry and I am now an energy economist (i.e. social scientist).

Its a complete and utterly useless technology that is far too expensive at current oil and gas prices. It will soon be a dead industry because no one will want to invest in it.

almondpudding Fri 23-Oct-15 21:32:12

I would speculate that women are more aware of what the cost in time, resources and human misery of the human health impacts of fracking will be.

The reason for that would be that women are the people who do the vast majority of paid and unpaid health care and community work. I'm generally more wary of people fucking up if I have to deal with the consequences.

For example it is paediatric nurses in the U.S. who have made it part of their role to record and report the health consequences of fracking in local communities. I will speculate that most paediatric nurses in the U.S. are women.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now