Talk

Advanced search

Never too early to stereotype...

(9 Posts)
grimbletart Fri 16-Oct-15 12:13:33

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/prince-william/11935211/Prince-William-my-delightful-lady-like-Charlotte-and-lively-little-George.html

Prince William apparently said: “George is very lively and Charlotte is very lady-like."

How the hell is a five month old baby "lady-like"?

People who doubt the effect that social conditioning can have on the way children develop has only to read this.

Little pink box for Princess Charlotte then…

grimbletart Fri 16-Oct-15 14:32:49

Please continue to ignore. Just realised there's already a thread in AIBU blush

shovetheholly Fri 16-Oct-15 15:02:08

Threads here are much better grin. And I agree with you... retrograde!

NiNoKuni Fri 16-Oct-15 19:36:32

Oh, it's awful. DS is 17 weeks old and I tried so hard but half his clothes are still blue! There is no escaping the little gender boxes.

Maybe Charlotte drinks her bottle holding her little finger out? grin

NeverEverAnythingEver Fri 16-Oct-15 20:43:26

"Asked if he would like Prince George and Princess Charlotte to follow their father’s lead by studying at St John’s one day, Prof Dobson said: “We take them younger and younger, so you never know!”"

Well, Prince George can go and study the agricultural course, but the lady-like Princess Charlotte? Have they got suitable courses for a lady-like princess?

LumpySpacedPrincess Sat 17-Oct-15 07:36:13

Just horrible, I work in a school and I am surrounded by gender stereotyping all the time. Boys are "more competitive" and "livelier." Drip, drip. drip every single day, then shock when boys do turn out to be livelier! Of course they are, they are allowed to be, it's on the blue box tick list don't cha know.

The other one that is really getting my goat at the moment is constantly being told how much dd must care about her appearance. The reality is that the boys spend ages doing their hair and dd can barely be bothered to scrape a brush through it. All this will change as the conditioning kicks in.

Rant over.

violetwellies Fri 30-Oct-15 22:03:03

DS's reception teacher told me last week that his snot wiping on sleeve was a 'boy thing'.
I told her I didn't get that innate gendered behaviour stuff. She is lucky I was so polite. I was too gobsmacked to give a coherent reply.
I'm still stunned actually.

TooOldForGlitter Fri 30-Oct-15 22:56:03

I'm so fucking bored of this shit. Is there a way to take back the red pill so your life is simpler and you don't see it everywhere you go? <hard week>

The very idea that a weeks old female child can be described as lady like makes me want to vomit my uterus up. I've no words! I'm feeling like a twig in the wind of constant sexism atm. Here is my sad face.

WorkingBling Tue 03-Nov-15 12:12:44

you know what the worst part is (and sorry, I know this thread is a bit old)? It's that william probably hasn't given a moment's thought to what he's saying and, like many who make these kind of comments, would be horrified if he really understood what was being said. when challenging this kind of thing, some people love to do the "now now dear, do calm down" thing. But I've had situations where people have stopped to think about it and had a lightbulb moment.

It's SOOOO insidious.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: