Talk

Advanced search

Sisters Uncut protest at Suffragette premiere.

(7 Posts)
HelenaDove Wed 07-Oct-15 19:22:30

They lay down on the red carpet in protest at the cuts to domestic abuse services and pointed out that 2 women a week are killed by a violent partner. Because as they point out dead women cant vote and the struggle for equality is far from over.
Actors from the film have come out in support of the protest . My support and solidarity to Sisters Uncut.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-34470858?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_england&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=english_regions

PlaysWellWithOthers Wed 07-Oct-15 20:41:31

Mine too, amazing stuff smile

Tiredemma Wed 07-Oct-15 20:42:59

just read this on another site. Was so pleased to see comments that the actors supported it and thought it was the perfect platform for their protest

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Wed 07-Oct-15 21:13:12

Very impressed by this. Excellent way to do a protest and actually get it noticed by the media. Good work, Sisters!

IShouldBeSoLurky Wed 07-Oct-15 22:17:46

Good work smile

I thought for a moment this would be about the anti-choice protesters who I think I read today also tried to disrupt the premiere - or did I make that up?

shovetheholly Thu 08-Oct-15 08:26:38

I must see that film! But I have to admit, I am suspicious of the way that these kinds of film narratives tend to present a done-and-dusted 'victory'. A bit like those idiots (of both sexes) who insist that the struggle for equality is 'over'. When causes get 'ennobled' by Hollywood, you often lose as much as you gain - look at civil rights. There was an interesting article in Jacobin magazine this week about how an individualist narrative of black triumph has concealed the collective and economic basis of struggle... which is ongoing.

Great idea for a protest.

BuffytheFeminist Thu 08-Oct-15 09:04:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now