Talk

Advanced search

Charity question

(12 Posts)
MyNameIsInigoMontoya Wed 12-Aug-15 23:42:57

Just been thinking about this, following on from deciding to stop my Amnesty membership and (smallish) direct debit (see other thread!).

I would like to keep this money going to a good cause, and it seems appropriate in the circumstances to choose one that will benefit women and girls specifically.

So I wondered (without wanting to open the floodgates too much, as I can only choose one!) whether you have any good recommendations for a charity to support instead?

I know there are a lot of charities doing great work for women, but for this at least, I would prefer it to be one that works globally (though I do also support UK charities at other times), and ideally one that works to make permanent improvements to women's rights/treatment rather than helping specific individuals (or in other words, trying to prevent the situations where they would need helping in future iyswim). Also of course would like it to be a reputable one where as much of the funds raised as possible go towards the charity's purpose.

Thank you!

YonicScrewdriver Thu 13-Aug-15 08:50:34

Camfed? Supports the education of girls in developing countries which I think has been repeatedly shown to improve outcomes on all kinds of measures (later marriage, later childbearing etc).

I think the Gates Foundation does something about providing sanpro which also helps girls get educated as they can still go to school during their periods.

PoppyShakespeare Thu 13-Aug-15 08:55:42

I love MSF, they never send harrowing or manipulative stuff in the post like many other charities or pester for more money - every now and then they'll send something interesting about their work

MSF women's health

PoppyShakespeare Thu 13-Aug-15 08:58:55

sorry, here's the UK link

www.msf.org.uk/article/women-s-health-msf-launches-global-multimedia-feature

FrancesHaHa Thu 13-Aug-15 09:04:57

Water aid? Since it is often women and girls who collect the water in poorer countries, access to a well etc can free them up to attend school/ work. Also provides safe places for them to go to the toilet, easier to access water when they have their periods etc.

I'd also second MSF as well.

MyNameIsInigoMontoya Thu 13-Aug-15 10:30:06

Thanks!

I will read up on MSF, I do "like" them (not quite the right word..) but wasn't aware they did specific women's programmes. Had not heard of Camfed before so will look into them too.

Water aid is a good one too but I am actually already connected to an extent with a different clean-water charity, so that's covered already really!

PS going to be very busy over next few days so please excuse me if I don't respond quickly to any further posts, I promise to catch up when I get a chance though!

meditrina Thu 13-Aug-15 10:48:15

Not global, but Maiti Nepal does good work and is totally focussed on girls and countering trafficking (usually for prostitution).

Or Habitat for Humanity (the international version, active in eg Asia, not the US furniture recycling initiative).

FuckOffYouFucker Thu 13-Aug-15 16:08:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Queeltie Thu 13-Aug-15 20:50:16

Eaves in Britain

TheBeanpole Thu 13-Aug-15 21:30:42

ActionAid also do a lot of womens' rights work- FGM, violence against girls etc. Their model is pretty good as they only really use local staff and use a partnering model with local organisations. MamaCash give grants directly to womens' organisation and do some really interesting work with women human rights defenders.

MyNameIsInigoMontoya Thu 13-Aug-15 23:22:26

Lots of food for thought, thank you! I like the sound of your two Beanpole. Will look them all up when I get a bit more time!

LauraMipsum Fri 14-Aug-15 16:11:48

I'm about to cancel my AI direct debit and I'll either increase my donation to Anti Slavery International or look at changing it to Stop The Traffik or another org that helps survivors.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now