Talk

Advanced search

Look like a girl, think like a man....

(14 Posts)
achieve6 Tue 11-Aug-15 15:03:02

if there was a competition for the infantilisation of women, sexualisation of women and assertions that women can't do business, BIC have won!

www.timeslive.co.za/sundaytimes/stnews/2015/08/11/Bic-issues-apology-for-think-like-a-man-Womens-Day-post

AnneofGreenTables Tue 11-Aug-15 16:24:51

Just when you think it's 2015 BIC go and do something like that angryhmm

Although weren't they the ones that invented a slim pink women's biro in case our weak girly hands couldn't cope with the infinite power and almighty strength of... a normal biro?

No idea why I'm surprised actually

achieve6 Tue 11-Aug-15 17:42:16

Indeed they were! But that makes me even more surprised that they didn't learn the first time.

also "look like a girl" - eww.......

WhirlpoolGalaxyM51 Tue 11-Aug-15 18:41:29

shock

They couldn't have got more wrong in if they'd tried!

Indomitable Tue 11-Aug-15 18:43:29

I'm going to have to start boycotting them aren't I? This is going to be awkward... <throws away all useful pens & old cheap surfboard>

EBearhug Tue 11-Aug-15 19:15:23

Don't forget that Bic have form - they made those pens for women.

BakingCookiesAndShit Tue 11-Aug-15 20:22:36

Well, I know I can't hold a man pen in my lady hand, so maybe the pink lady pens were a good idea?

Pahahaha.

No. They weren't.

JustTheRightBullets Tue 11-Aug-15 21:06:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

50ShadesofNope Fri 14-Aug-15 21:28:22

At least the comments on the Bic for women page on Amazon give you a little hope for humanity. It's encouraging to see so much satire coming from something that many would see as totally innocuous!!

This new campaign is laughable though, and their 'apology' is pathetic. How about apologising for promoting misogyny and idiocy rather than apologising that people were offended. I'm just glad people seem to recognise it for the cop out it is.

PlentyOfPubeGardens Sun 16-Aug-15 09:52:40

This is an old Lizzo lyric. I think BIC missed the point a bit.

partialderivative Sun 16-Aug-15 17:46:45

Have you seen this YouTube clip showing Uni of Alabama recruitment vid for a sorority group.

Surely it must be a piss take

www.youtube.com/watch?v=odmCSCXugac

Vatersay Sun 16-Aug-15 17:53:02

Oh my! Do you think any women work for Bic?

YonicScrewdriver Sun 16-Aug-15 20:47:35

Partial

Can you clarify for me why that amateur 'video' (not even a video, a series of stills over singing a nursery rhyme) by some uni students was a useful parallel to a glossy professional advertising campaign by a global brand?

OneFlewOverTheDodosNest Mon 17-Aug-15 15:26:12

Happy Womens Day (sic) from Bic. I'm quite impressed with quite how insulting they've managed to be in so few words.

Look like a girl - yuck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now