Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone seen that Lauren Southern (?) video on facebook?

(10 Posts)
nowwearefour Sun 26-Jul-15 13:12:31

What are the best short responses to someone who also declares having seen it that they are not a feminist? My blood boils but I want to be clever and considered in what I say in response.....

InnocentWhenYouDream Sun 26-Jul-15 17:59:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nowwearefour Sun 26-Jul-15 19:16:01

I know. I know. She says she can't be a feminist because she wants men to have their corner fought for them too. She doesn't get that the reason she will be taken seriously if she was raped or the reason she can go to a safe house if she needs one is because people have stood for the cause of vulnerable women over time.

makeminea6x Sun 26-Jul-15 19:20:09

One of my fb friends (male) shared that video and asked for brutal and honest opinions. I don't think he was expecting mine. I saw my arse I'm afraid.

itsbetterthanabox Sun 26-Jul-15 19:30:41

If more men are raped in prisons then that's still men who are committing rape. That's what feminists are combatting, the perpetrators of rape. Who ate overwhelmingly men. Their victims become other men when women aren't around.

alexpolistigers Sun 26-Jul-15 19:45:27

I saw it. I commented on FB as follows:

This video clip can be summed up as "I am not a feminist because I have failed to understand both feminism and statistics."

Just where are all these women who have received more lenient sentences than men for comparable crimes? Just where are all these women who are instantly believed when they talk about having been raped?

makeminea6x Sun 26-Jul-15 20:03:26

smile I like it alex

GhostWorld Fri 31-Jul-15 15:01:00

Here is an article addressing some of the things she says, but I think it is just as worthwhile copying alex when someone posts it and agrees
sites.psu.edu/peep/2015/04/15/a-reply-to-lauren-southerns-why-im-not-a-feminist-by-jenna-christian/

FayKorgasm Fri 31-Jul-15 16:40:43

Yes why are men not campaigning against male on male violence? Or are they looking blank faced at women expecting them to take up this as well?
Men being raped in prison is terrible but its nothing to do with feminism. Not our circus,not our monkeys.

alexpolistigers Fri 31-Jul-15 20:05:05

I bet that Lauren Southern looks back on this video in ten years time and cringes at her own naivety and ignorance. At least, I really, really hope she does.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now