Talk

Advanced search

Why is the media so invested in women hating each other?

(8 Posts)
Destinysdaughter Thu 23-Jul-15 20:21:02

This has never been my experience in real life, I've found most women to be incredibly supportive and on MN I'm so impressed and heartened by how many women will give time and energy to support women they don't even know and will never meet. So why are the media so invested in creating these bitch fear scenarios? A few examples are the Sex and The City and Desperate Housewife casts who were allegedly at each other's throats. I didn't believe it, but it seems to be so threatening that a group of women could actually get on and be supportive of each other. WFT is that about..? Any ideas...?

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LassUnparalleled Thu 23-Jul-15 21:21:03

I gave up on Desperate Housewives long before the end but I don't recall it or SAT being what you describe. Quite the opposite.

messyisthenewtidy Thu 23-Jul-15 22:27:12

I do remember the plumber guy (the one that ended up with Teri Hatcher's character saying in an interview that he got annoyed at interviewers always asking if it was a bitch fest on set.

I agree, OP, apart from journalists actively trying to stir up catfights there seem to be very few dramas / sitcoms where female relationships are portrayed in a non-antagonistic light, whilst bromances are two a penny.

Destinysdaughter Thu 23-Jul-15 22:44:24

Just to clarify, I didn't mean the shows themselves, just examples of how the media tried to portray what went on behind the scenes as how women can't get on with each other and are super competitive with each other. I don't think that actually happened but that was how it was portrayed. It seems like the media have a vested interest in women bit supporting each other whereas my reality of female friendships has been the exact opposite in the main.

Destinysdaughter Thu 23-Jul-15 22:45:02

Not,,not bit!

LassUnparalleled Thu 23-Jul-15 23:40:20

Sorry misread. Is there any more than about other mixed groups of actors or bands not getting on?

MollyAir Fri 24-Jul-15 00:34:09

The whole of capitalism is based on women not supporting each other. The basis for advertising is taught in all schools these days: advertisers create an insecurity ("too much body hair"; "too fat"; etc) then sell consumers a product to solve the insecurity.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now