Talk

Advanced search

Please can I just say that...

(35 Posts)
messyisthenewtidy Sun 14-Jun-15 22:45:23

...I love you crazy lot!

In RL I rarely get the chance to discuss feminist issues because the people I know are reluctant to identify with feminism (probably for reasons pointed out in BR's chat thread)
So it's an absolute life saver to be able to come here and know I'm not alone.

I don't find FWR unwelcoming, lively yes!, but not hostile to those who genuinely want to engage. Plus there are so many clever posters who are kind enough to share their time and knowledge (come back Buffy!) and I've learnt so much..

So thanksflowers that's all.

YonicScrewdriver Sun 14-Jun-15 22:50:04

Aw, yay!

soapboxqueen Sun 14-Jun-15 23:03:34

I agree. I don't get to discuss much and when I do I get told I'm a bore hmm

I learn a lot from mn in general but FWR has been great. I don't always agree with everything. Been some sticky situations in the past (threads wise) but on the whole it's been very educational.

Thank you everyone

messyisthenewtidy Sun 14-Jun-15 23:08:08

I know how you feel soapbox- in RL one must never be too earnest about feminism! One must always keep it lighthearted for fear of seeming serious!

Which is why here is so relaxing.

soapboxqueen Sun 14-Jun-15 23:14:25

I do try to be lighthearted, I really do but I'm a bit of a political soul. There's a little devil in me that just thinks if you can't take me seriously when I talk about something that I care deeply about then I'm going to annoy you to death instead. grin

I'm a bad girl wink

KanyesVest Sun 14-Jun-15 23:18:49

Me too! I've become so much more aware and finally have some words to express some of the thoughts I couldn't articulate previously, all thanks to the very knowledgeable and generous posters here. Thank you all.

Koalafications Sun 14-Jun-15 23:19:58

I'm not a regular on this board but I do enjoy reading the posts. I don't agree that it is a 'hostile' place. I've always found everyone to be really friendly.

Apart from those who come here to troll, of course.

Still miss Buffy's posts. Yonic do you promise you won't leave? smile

InnocentWhenYouDream Mon 15-Jun-15 07:00:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

00100001 Mon 15-Jun-15 07:21:41

It can be hostile here.

YonicScrewdriver Mon 15-Jun-15 07:52:49

And it feels pretty hostile to read a post like that on a nice thread, binary. There's various other threads at present discussing how crap we all are - would you mind sticking to one of those? It would be appreciated.

Yops Mon 15-Jun-15 08:01:05

As a man grin I too like this board. There is stuff on here that I'd like to discuss in real life, particularly with my wife and daughter, but neither are particularly political. FWR has brought a lot of issues to my attention that would otherwise slip under my radar.

I sometimes don't agree with the analysis on here, but it's almost always a discussion that needs to be had (from a societal point of view I mean).

YonicScrewdriver Mon 15-Jun-15 08:04:26

Behold! A man has arrived with his... Err, perfectly reasonable post.

Dammit grin

messyisthenewtidy Mon 15-Jun-15 08:10:58

Exactly Yops, people don't always have to agree! I'm not sure why feminists in particular are expected to be on the same page all the time.

Like someone said earlier it's a broad church and feminists have different ideas about what's needed and how to make that happen.

And that's ok!

0100001, if you walk into a party and announce "this is gonna be a crap party" then it's going to be a crap party!grin

00100001 Mon 15-Jun-15 08:13:47

smile

FarelyKnuts Mon 15-Jun-15 08:16:04

I think I've posted here once or maybe twice at a push, but just wanted to say as a silent lurker... I'm a big fan of the FWR board. It's hugely educational for me and has some cracking debates that I will one day be brave enough to join blush

YonicScrewdriver Mon 15-Jun-15 08:20:09

Come to the pub, Knuts?

EElisavetaOfBelsornia Mon 15-Jun-15 08:24:51

I'm another lurking regular who really appreciates this board. It's opened my eyes in so many ways, and I'm blush and angryabout lots of my past choices. But much more reflective and braver because of you. Thank you!

SpeverendRooner Mon 15-Jun-15 08:39:34

Also As A Man I've found these boards an interesting and intellectually challenging, although not always comfortable, read. I suspect the latter two are what gets read as hostility.

FarelyKnuts Mon 15-Jun-15 09:49:40

There's a pub? shock

UptoapointLordCopper Mon 15-Jun-15 09:59:31

There is a pub. smile

I have learned a lot on here and use what I learned in RL too. I'm sure that makes me hugely popular. wink

FarelyKnuts Mon 15-Jun-15 10:07:33

I'll seek it out thanks

AlternativeTentacles Mon 15-Jun-15 10:19:47

I do love an exchange on here, esp when women tell me that I am unable to do the things that I have done for the last 30 because I am a woman. And then when other women tell me not to tell other women that it can be done.

soapboxqueen Mon 15-Jun-15 10:58:51

I'm intrigued Alternative as to what can and can't be done but also can't be talked about.

It sounds like a cross between Schrödinger's cat and Lord Voldamort.

... Or the cat that must not be named grin

UptoapointLordCopper Mon 15-Jun-15 11:04:36

Plenty of women (and men) tell me I can't do what I do the way I do it. But no one has told me not to tell anyone I can do what I do the way I do it. IYKWIM. I'm intrigued about the cat who must not be named.

AlternativeTentacles Mon 15-Jun-15 11:12:54

I was told yesterday not to tell people that things like heavy manual work can be done by women, because it might upset the non-feminists. Because the thread was supposed to be a safe place for non feminists to chat about non feminism presumably.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now