'chill out darling' - can I vent here please?

(5 Posts)
ThinkAboutItTomorrow Thu 04-Jun-15 07:07:02

I just had an executive coaching session. This is an extremely expensive - we're talking thousands for a 12 week burst of weekly calls - form of professional development that my company is funding for me.

I am fuming. I don't know if he was being provocative but when I told him I was also pregnant, mostly as an aside in terms of the timing I had to reach my bonus target he basically said I should therefore chill out and take care of myself and not worry about the job. He also called me darling.

I get paid a six figure salary and am responsible for millions in revenue. What hope is there for women in more senior roles if this is the attitude? If as soon as you are pregnant you are suddenly expected and advised to drop the ball?

I know that there is a whole piece about whether women in the world of work should conform to male expectations of what success looks like etc. but I fight the fight my way on their terms, it's a personal choice.

But when I get this sort of crap chucked at me I wonder why I bother.

YonicScrewdriver Thu 04-Jun-15 08:32:43

Complain to the coaching company.

ChunkyPickle Thu 04-Jun-15 09:37:44

It's just more of that inappropriate, unsolicited advice that gets chucked at you isn't it.

Unprofessional of him too - you were telling him the parameters under which you were working, in order to get coaching on that subject. As a grown woman in a responsible role you probably know how to take care of yourself when pregnant a hell of a lot better than him and would like him to stick to the subject please.

I would raise it with the company - he's not giving the service required, and he needs to know that.

ThinkAboutItTomorrow Thu 04-Jun-15 11:12:06

Absolutely. It's not my first baby so I do know, better than him that i'm on a hiatus from exhaustion and need to meet my objectives now whilst I'm not dead on my feet because in a few months I will need to slow down.

He's the owner!
I will raise it with our HR though. She pays him and won't be impressed.
He also coaches our CEO who thinks he's brilliant.

DepthFirstSearch Thu 04-Jun-15 11:44:52

Some coach that is!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now