Talk

Advanced search

World Cup appreciation thread - starts Sat June 6th

(188 Posts)
YonicScrewdriver Mon 01-Jun-15 18:24:27

First England game is vs France and will be on BBC2 on June 9th.

C'mon you lionesses!

(Supporting other nations is also allowed!)

YonicScrewdriver Tue 02-Jun-15 05:56:52

Full fixture list:

m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/32951310

sausageeggbacon11 Tue 02-Jun-15 11:39:50

Been looking forward to this for a while, be amazing if we could win it so we (England) held both the Football and Rugby world cups something the men have never done.

scallopsrgreat Tue 02-Jun-15 11:40:55

Thanks for this Yonic. I appreciate the links.

It is also Women's sport week: www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/get-inspired/32916625

The BBC have a number of articles with different sportswomen:

Maria Costello (Motorcycle road racer)
Nicola Adams
Tanni Grey-Thompson
Role Models
More from Women in Sport

YonicScrewdriver Tue 02-Jun-15 11:48:05

SEB, I am afraid France may beat us! Let's hope not!

NoTechnologicalBreakdown Tue 02-Jun-15 12:44:35

Oh, this is women's football world cup is it? <waits to be pelted with rotten tomatoes>. I am so (deliberately) uninformed about all sport. Good luck team.

LurcioAgain Tue 02-Jun-15 12:44:42

Signing in... As a Scot (yeah, don't laugh please...) I haven't decided who to support.

YonicScrewdriver Tue 02-Jun-15 13:23:07

Yup, NTB.

Lurcio, support England. g'wan g'wan ;)

partialderivative Tue 02-Jun-15 13:34:09

Remember, England Women's rugby won the world cup last year!

sausageeggbacon11 Tue 02-Jun-15 15:40:03

I am more worried about the Germans Yonic, they have a bad habit of winning. The group games it is just qualify, although losing on a penalty shoot out to France back in 2011 is a little worrying.

Seriously though Germany will be the team to beat.

YonicScrewdriver Tue 02-Jun-15 16:01:43

Did you go to the England-Germany qualifier? I wanted to but one minute there were loads of tickets and the next all gone once the cap was imposed.

sausageeggbacon11 Tue 02-Jun-15 18:13:36

I wish I had but we tend to go to Rugby. I have yet to go to a football international. Winning the world cup would bring more people to the games.

YonicScrewdriver Tue 02-Jun-15 19:03:23

Ah, I am not a rugby fan!

sausageeggbacon11 Tue 02-Jun-15 20:02:16

I can talk football and rugby and cricket but I would say my heart is in the rugby first. With us qualifying for the Olympics I was so happy. But I will watch anything with the boys.

LurcioAgain Tue 02-Jun-15 23:36:20

Germany were awsome in the last world cup - open, flowing, stylish passing football (I think their men must have been watching... because their men's team has finally gone from playing a dull as ditchwater game to actually playing football that's beautiful to watch).

I did manage to see Japan versus Brazil in Cardiff during the Olympics - that was a great game (and I was chuffed to see Japan win - Brazil's women's team have, in the last couple of world cups, been a very dirty team - they just try to hack the opposition off the park, and it's not pretty to watch).

Anyway, great, great news for women's football - sleazy lech extraordinaire Sepp Blatter has finally been forced out.

sausageeggbacon11 Wed 03-Jun-15 08:16:03

Unfortunately whoever takes power at FIFA will not address the issues of tv coverage of the game for us and we will still be seen as second best. My boys are very much "we will watch women's football if there is no other good sport on" and that is the attitude we need to change.

YonicScrewdriver Wed 03-Jun-15 08:18:33

DS hasn't yet grasped the difference - he thought if the two world cups were on in the same year then people wouldn't know which one to watch. I told him that was right!

sausageeggbacon11 Fri 05-Jun-15 08:50:35

Nice to see that the Americans are at least earning decently out of this. Okay no one is getting more than £40k a week yet and a lot is through endorsements but I guess I should not be surprised at the fact the US pay big money and we are behind in that.

Getting excited now.

YonicScrewdriver Fri 05-Jun-15 11:44:14

Are you staying up for the opening game tomorrow night? It's sooo late!

YonicScrewdriver Fri 05-Jun-15 11:45:31

Lurcio, I will try and watch the Germans Sunday night as I can't go to the gym. Have you decided who you are supporting?

sausageeggbacon11 Fri 05-Jun-15 14:14:01

I want to stay up and it is the weekend but the boys have a busy weekend and it is my turn to play taxi. However coffee may be the answer.

drinkscabinet Sun 07-Jun-15 08:47:18

DS hasn't yet grasped the difference - he thought if the two world cups were on in the same year then people wouldn't know which one to watch. I told him that was right!

I think Tennis and the Olympics (and now the boat race) show that having the male and female competitions at the same time is the only way to get a lot of people to watch female sport. Was muttering about this to DH as we watched the first half of the opening match last night.

Anyway, thanks to Footy Pups on cbeebies my kids are now big Rachel Yankey fans. Torn over this, really they should be big Gemma Fay fans (I'm Scottish).

sausageeggbacon11 Sun 07-Jun-15 08:52:07

Just dropped DS1 for his cricket today, quick coffee then DS2 is off out and expecting his taxi to be ready.

Well I did stay up and watch the match, impressive crowd of over 50k but as it was the home nation playing not really a surprise. Not a great match, China seem to be playing for a draw which stifles the game. As Canada won most people will be happy I guess but I do wonder if the penalty would have been given if it had been the other way round.

The BBC studio guests were good as well not an overbearing arse in sight.

YonicScrewdriver Sun 07-Jun-15 14:17:59

Drinks, I think they tried that in rugby - women's game straight after the men's in the same stadium, no extra ticket needed, most people left IIRC.

I didn't stay up last night but will watch Germany tonight.

drinkscabinet Sun 07-Jun-15 14:55:06

Drinks, I think they tried that in rugby - women's game straight after the men's in the same stadium, no extra ticket needed, most people left IIRC.

I suspect you need to have the women's game first. Quite depressing though, it's a crying shame about the rugby but it's worked for other sports.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now