Talk

Advanced search

Are most cat lovers female?

(103 Posts)
partialderivative Fri 15-May-15 20:04:15

I am sure that there are some males who dote on their cats.

But it does seem to me to be a female thing.

Am I mistaken?

RaaRaaTheLion Fri 15-May-15 20:07:48

My DP adores our kitties, and the 5 kittens we have at the moment. He's much more of a cat person than I am!

grimbletart Fri 15-May-15 20:08:46

Im a dog person partial. Don't dislike cats but wouldn't choose one as a pet.

grimbletart Fri 15-May-15 20:10:05

Oh, should have said: my DH loves cats though we don't have them any longer as we like to feed the birds rather than the birds feeding the cats.

HapShawl Fri 15-May-15 20:10:14

Is this a feminist issue?

BuffyNeverBreaks Fri 15-May-15 20:15:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PacificDogwood Fri 15-May-15 20:16:51

I have no idea - dog person here, and DH is allergic to cats <shrugs>

Is this a feminist issue? confused

ADachshundNamedColin Fri 15-May-15 20:20:10

No I think lots of men prefer cats.

sausageeggbacon11 Fri 15-May-15 20:36:35

Personally I prefer Parrots.

YonicScrewdriver Fri 15-May-15 23:35:35

Zebras. Zebras are awesome.

EBearhug Fri 15-May-15 23:46:17

I have male colleagues who are very keen cat owners. One gay, one single and lives alone, two married (not to each other.) And the rest of them, no idea if they have any pets. I am more likely to remember the people who have cats rather than dogs or rabbits or whatever else, so there is some of my own bias in (not) recording the figures. Not that I've been recording the figures, it's just come up in conversation.

PacificDogwood Sat 16-May-15 09:47:11

If cats farts are less smelly than dog farts, I may be converted at this very moment in time envy

Do you think DDog's gaseous emissions are as eye waveringly smelly as they are because he is a boy? Would a gentle girl dog be less smelly??

HapShawl Sat 16-May-15 09:58:11

IME not, Pacific

PacificDogwood Sat 16-May-15 09:58:35

Darn.

noddyholder Sat 16-May-15 09:59:47

No my ds and dp love cats

Quite a few families I know (mine included) only have cats because the DH wanted them. I love our two but would be in no rush to replace them if the worst happened, don't think of myself as a cat person. My friend says cats came as part of the package with her DH, she's not that bothered about them but he can never be without them. Most of the people who post pics of their cats on my FB are men. So on a very small statistical sample I'd say no.

However gifts for cat lovers seem to be exclusively aimed at the female market. Like cupcakes.

WhirlpoolGalaxyM51 Sat 16-May-15 11:49:23

This reminds me of something I thought the other day while getting off the train.

Women and cats are linked for some reason in society.
Cats are also presented as "sexy" in a way that dogs, say, aren't. I was thinking about catwoman, at the time, and dress-up "cat" outfits. And then those weird ads for cat foods where there seems to be some kind of weird sexual undertone. There might be one for galaxy as well come to think of it.

Women with more than a couple of cats are deemed to be bonkers. Where has the "cat woman" thing come from? I can't think of a similar one for men "dog man" who has more than 3 dogs and everyone knows he's a deeply unattractive loon.

It's all very odd.

What is it all to do with. Anyway that's what I was thinking when I got off the train.

StickEm Sat 16-May-15 11:51:31

WhirlpoolGalaxyM51 Sat 16-May-15 11:56:59

That's interesting.

I would have thought that most vegans it's for religious reasons and so in those societies it would be an equal split, with people being eg vegans in the UK not really making a drop in the ocean in terms of numbers even if they were all women.

I'm obviously missing some info somewhere!

StickEm Sat 16-May-15 12:22:53

StickEm Sat 16-May-15 12:23:36

Penfold007 Sat 16-May-15 12:34:14

Our cat is very much a man's cat and DH adores her.

WhirlpoolGalaxyM51 Sat 16-May-15 12:35:24

People adhering to unusual / non-mainstream / extreme diets in the UK are probably mainly women TBF.

While the ideas behind veganism are not "faddy", the diet itself is used by people for faddy reasons these days IYSWIM. Not all of them obv, but enough.

StickEm Sat 16-May-15 12:41:22

WhirlpoolGalaxyM51 Sat 16-May-15 12:46:12

Erm

Not sure I follow that TBH.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now