Sexism in primary school

(9 Posts)
Mousing Wed 06-May-15 20:54:11

I'm a primary school teacher. Today I had a really difficult conversation with one of the senior leadership team which I think was really sexist. I'm not sure what I should have done or what I should do tomorrow.
There are 4 people in the SLT and two of them are very supportive of play-based learning and the other two are much more interested in getting results even if the children have a worse experience of school. As my class have SATs very soon we have been doing quite a lot of practice in the last few weeks because I am under a lot of pressure to get them to the right levels and exam technique does make a difference. I don't like teachinglike this but it's the system we're in and I would be disadvantaging my class and my school if I didn't prepare them for their SATs.
Today one of the play-based-learning supporters on the SLT told my that the boys in my class need to be doing more outdoor activities and that it's not fair to expect them to focus this hard all morning without a break. She has now set up a timetable for children to go outside to play in the afternoons. Every child gets at least one turn per week but several children get 2 turns. All of the children who get 2 turns are boys. This is a class where 65% of the children are girls. She has also set up a trip to the building site behind the school for 6 children from my class and she has picked all boys. The boys in the class are very badly behaved and they do take up a lot of the SLT's time dealing with it, so I can see that they probably think this is a solution to that problem, but it feels really unfair to me. The girls are generally cooperative and because of that they get fewer fun activities and it is just assumed that they'll be happy doing SATs papers.
What should I do? The teacher who set this up is senior to me so I can't really change her plan but I'm not happy with it.

rosy71 Wed 06-May-15 21:03:36

How old are these children? I can't imagine Year 6s needing play based learning but your talk of exam technique doesn't sound like Year 2 either. confused

Mousing Wed 06-May-15 21:44:49

It's year 2. There is exam technique for year 2 SATs too.

Mopmay Wed 06-May-15 21:48:22

That seems wrong to me but I'm not a teacher etc My dd however would be complaining bitterly as she's mainly friends with the boys. She'd be gutted to be lumped in with girls just because she is one. I'd be hacked off on her behalf

YonicScrewdriver Wed 06-May-15 21:51:25

Could you ask if the activity will be for all girls next time it happens? Still crap for now but makes your point non-aggressively?

almondcakes Wed 06-May-15 23:33:50

What are the boys learning in the outdoor play based learning?

kelpeed Thu 07-May-15 10:21:07

picking thejust boys is very unfair.

what about a ballot for the second turn?

those that get picked have to wait until everyone else has had a second turn.

this makes it all random and fairer.

could you ask/encourage a like-minded parent of a girl student to raise this systemic unfairness of outside play/outings with the senior teacher?

i certainly was a very fidgetty and unfocussed (girl) child not helped by my parents thought academic stuff was fair more important than trivial play

BarbarianMum Thu 07-May-15 13:56:28

I think it is fair if she picks the children on the basis of who needs the physical outlet the most (the kids who have difficulty focusing over long periods, those who are constantly on the move). That might give you the same outcome, but it wouldn't be a case of prioritising boys over girls with similar needs.

There should also be destressing options for other types of children too though -the most anxious perhaps?

luccui Sat 09-May-15 14:16:57

Do primary schools still have that sexist "girls before boys" policy for everything? My primary school was big on that.

And I know this Q is off-topic but are kids in primary schools still forced to say the lord's prayer every morning whether they like it or not? I had to even though I'm athiest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now