Talk

Advanced search

Labour's pink bus

(101 Posts)
Poofus Tue 10-Feb-15 19:23:28

Is this really the best way the Labour Party can think of to woo women voters?!

I was quite impressed with Labour from a feminist perspective, but this is the most hamfisted attempt to win over the "women's vote" I could imagine.

meditrina Tue 10-Feb-15 19:37:04

BBC reporting Labour as on the defensive

I think it's dire.

EdithWeston Tue 10-Feb-15 19:41:34

Pinkified 'other'

Anyone have any idea who is the target audience? (age, demographic, previous voting profile etc)

CaptainHolt Tue 10-Feb-15 19:47:03

Is it pink for the ladeees?

Their whole conference backdrop was pink this year. Conservatives have been toning their blue down too. UKIP sticking with the standing at the back dressed stupidly and looking stupid party colours.

PilchardPrincess Tue 10-Feb-15 19:53:36

It's all kind of interesting.

It shows up that they think that women need something "different" as mainstream politics isn't for them. And why shouldn't women be looking at the main policies and stuff why do they need something different?

But OTOH parliament is overwhelmingly male, with influence from business and the media, overwhelmingly male, thus looking at concerns which are interesting to men with a male perspective and fed into since it all started via laws made by men for men and a male legislature etc etc etc and so on.

So from that perspective maybe not so bad.

Didn't need to be pink though.
And I can't imagine a situation where they would have one ONE special blue bus to appeal to the entire male voting population confused

I like Harriet Harman though so maybe my views on this are skewed if it was Tory I'd be shouting HATE grin

PilchardPrincess Tue 10-Feb-15 19:55:58

Hmm maybe not so bad isn't quite what I mean there! Edited a bit.

Sort of.

Not sure what I mean really.

Like, they've admitted that the main stuff doesn't address women's concerns at all so here's a thing.

But women are more than 1/2 the population! So if it's clear that things that impact them are not on the agenda isn't that more of a pronblem than just one pink bus, isn't it a whole we need to rethink this entirely type scenario. Which isn't going to happen so...

<ties self in knots>

StillLostAtTheStation Tue 10-Feb-15 20:51:08

Like, they've admitted that the main stuff doesn't address women's concerns at all so here's a thing

Well there is a whole thread on who to vote for as a feminist so it's not an invalid point.

grimbletart Tue 10-Feb-15 20:51:33

Jesus wept - that's appalling. I am not some special snowflake who has to be engaged "round the kitchen table". Just fuck off with your patronising pink dinky van.

meditrina Tue 10-Feb-15 20:55:07

"I like Harriet Harman though so maybe my views on this are skewed if it was Tory I'd be shouting HATE"

That's one of the problems with party politics at the moment, I think. The parties could do exactly the same thing, and one gets castigated whilst the other gets a free pass.

(Bit like how the VAT on sanpro quitened right down when people realised they were supporting a UKIP policy).

grimbletart Tue 10-Feb-15 20:59:08

That's one of the problems with party politics at the moment, I think. The parties could do exactly the same thing, and one gets castigated whilst the other gets a free pass.

YY

StillLostAtTheStation Tue 10-Feb-15 20:59:39

grimble they are not aiming at you. I know women, normal, bright , working women, some parents, some not who have never voted.
.I don't see it as much different than the thread on here tbh. Was that patronising?

PilchardPrincess Tue 10-Feb-15 21:04:06

That's the way it's always been Meditrina I'm sure! I know that sometimes I react differently to other (non political) things as well depending on how I feel about the person. Human nature I guess?

I've totally lost interest in mainstream politics despite being a "political" person TBH. I mean I'll slag off what they're doing quite happily but I don't see any way of changing anything they seem to close together now somehow. I mean obviously I'd take labour over the tories but even there I'm just meh about it.

I guess if there is little difference in the policies then it comes down to personality / personability (is that a word?) doesn't it which is not a good direction. It's always been there but the gloss is gettign more and more important and what they say less so.

grimbletart Tue 10-Feb-15 21:17:59

Sorry Still - not following you very well.

Malabrig0 Tue 10-Feb-15 21:23:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

herecomesthsun Tue 10-Feb-15 21:26:06

My daughter would like this. She is 2.

StillLostAtTheStation Tue 10-Feb-15 21:53:32

And I don't get your outrage grumble

It's an attempt to reach out , and presumably listen to , women in marginal constituencies. In a very bright , stand out van.

I can't see how that makes you more or less of a special snowflake than anyone who posted in the "who to vote for as a feminist thread"

StillLostAtTheStation Tue 10-Feb-15 21:55:02

76% in favour of it here.

Pink bus of Labour women on 'kitchen table' tour to woo female voters

gu.com/p/45kp7

grimbletart Tue 10-Feb-15 22:04:58

In a very bright , stand out van.

Of course, to engage our pink lady brains. Now I get it grin

StillLostAtTheStation Tue 10-Feb-15 22:13:10

Oh sigh. No. As opposed to standard grubby white that type of van comes in.

StillLostAtTheStation Tue 10-Feb-15 22:15:38

Sorry 76% agree with you. That did seem an improbable result for The Guardian.

Andcake Tue 10-Feb-15 22:20:41

Hmm torn - hate the pink and kitchen table line but yes the idea of making an effort to speak to women is good. Why did they have to make it pink and are they do out of touch with some womens views on pink and gender stereotypical.
Did anyone see/ hear the woman's hour tns study about women's voting intentions. I only caught up on it thus morning on podcast but the figures really showed how disillusioned women are with all our posh boy career politicians.
Yes I usually vote anything but Tory and believe it is important to vote but increasingly feel there is no one to vote for...

Malabrig0 Tue 10-Feb-15 22:55:39

Pensionerpeep Wed 11-Feb-15 00:11:17

StillLostAtTheStation Wed 11-Feb-15 01:22:02

Why did they have to make it pink and are they do out of touch with some womens views on pink and gender stereotypical

The key word is "some" though isn't it? Pink sells doesn't it ?

I like pink. I've always liked pink. I like it even more when I'm told I shouldn't like pink as I've been brainwashed by gender stereotyping although that's just me overthinking it and being contrary.

Outside of MN and The Guardian do women really care about anti-pink? It's not a conversation I've had in real life. The Breast Cancer pink ribbon is instantly recognisable for example. It probably bothers a tiny minority.

This Labour campaign is probably not aimed at Guardian readers.

AuntieStella Wed 11-Feb-15 06:43:29

I've just heard that it was chosen because it matched the pink at the party conference.

It's not being widely used except on this dreadfully patronising van, though.

A right wing party would be utterly crucified for this.

Labour are just not good enough.

(There's a difference between pinkification and just something pink. This is a horrible example of pinkification).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: