Advanced search

Interesting looking book

(6 Posts)
BuffytheThunderLizard Sun 08-Feb-15 12:00:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BuffytheThunderLizard Sun 08-Feb-15 12:06:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TwiceForkedLightningTree Sun 08-Feb-15 13:09:51

I found that article a while ago from a different route. I'm from working classes but had a middle class education from age 11. The working class and middle class worlds are so far apart it's not true. That early experience of moving between the worlds has left me with a hatred of inequality ever since. There is and can be no justification for the extremes we see in the UK.

The Tories have long been known as the enemy of the poor, New Labour betrayed us, and then we got this lot back in so the anti-working class rhetoric has been going for a long time now. Of course it's bullshit. Coming from the middle classes (apart from adding insult to injury) it drives me up the wall. There has been so much evidence showing that wealth is largely inherited, not earned, and increasingly so as social mobility stops, yet they continue to try and despise us in a desperate attempt to prove their own worthiness.

It does need to stop and the classes need to flatten out. For goodness sake we are all part of the same society and not only do we need everyone in it, we actually need cleaners and shop assistants a damn sight more than we need yet more lawyers, managers and accountants imo. Like I said the contempt dished out is just adding insult to injury. Sorry for the length.

TwiceForkedLightningTree Sun 08-Feb-15 13:12:19

Meant to say, coming from the 'silver spoon' middle classes it drives me up the wall. So many of them just have never had to struggle seriously for anything in their lives.

AllThePrettySeahorses Sun 08-Feb-15 17:40:55

It sounds fascinating; I've just bought a copy.

I've always despised the rhetoric that being poor or working class means you're lazy and workshy. Sadly, it's usually the case the less someone earns, the harder they have to work for the money. And of course, it's too often women who are forced into this low paid drudgery.

Wouldn't it be nice if we lived in a meritocracy that actually rewarded talent, ability, intelligence hard work and so on, rather than a hidebound one that mainly rewards class privilege?

PetulaGordino Sun 08-Feb-15 18:20:04

This does look interesting, thanks. It was interesting to see some of the comments by opponents of NMP3 and the Ched Evans petition talking about it being driven by "middle class feminists from London" and that P3 was part of working class culture that the middle classes were trying to suppress. Which naturally prompted strong responses from feminists who were working class and living in other areas of the UK

There is a pernicious idea that working class naturally means racist, sexist, etc. Which to me sounds like demonisation and allows people of other backgrounds to abdicate responsibility for their own prejudices and oppression they perpetuate

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now