Talk

Advanced search

Valentines Day

(15 Posts)
BreakingDad77 Tue 03-Feb-15 15:54:43

Interested to discuss

Innocent romantic gifts/card or legitimised day to stalk?

Do women actually partake in it much or is it mostly men?

BuffyBotRebooted Tue 03-Feb-15 15:55:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LovesBooks Tue 03-Feb-15 15:57:57

I quite like Valentine's Day and see no harm in it, its a day you can use to go out on a date with your partner and do nice things. This year my partner finishes early and we are getting a babysitter to go out together. I am really looking forward to it. Some say it's just another day but there is still no harm in doing something nice on a Saturday evening.

Nolim Tue 03-Feb-15 15:59:20

I dont celebrate it at all.

ifyourehoppyandyouknowit Tue 03-Feb-15 15:59:51

We exchange cards, he'll probably get me some flowers. We might actually have a babysitter this year, so may go out drinking in the day time and see a film. It's mostly harmless if you take it with a pinch of salt?

OFrabjousDay Tue 03-Feb-15 16:22:21

It's not just another day, it's a day when everyone else is out on a date too. The only time I've been out for a meal on the day, the restaurant had separated all their tables into tables-for-two, with the result that they were all in regimented rows, with about 0.5m between tables. Not remotely romantic or intimate.

Dh and I ignore it completely, always have. Our anniversary is a couple of weeks later, which we use as an excuse if anyone thinks it's odd we're not doing anything on the 14th.

LurcioAgain Tue 03-Feb-15 16:26:05

Have always thought it ghastly beyond belief, whether in or out of a relationship at the time. Coerced romanticism isn't my idea of fun. (I used to have a brilliant friend when I lived oop North - he and I would always go on our "Valentine's day anti-date" and see the most violent action movie we could find).

(I do however get utterly mushy over the homemade valentines from my DS because they are completely heartfelt, without a tinge of "I only did this because I felt socially constrained to.")

PetulaGordino Tue 03-Feb-15 16:28:22

someone's been writing "university" more than they write "anniversary" wink

dp is away every year on valentine's day for work. it hasn't ever bothered me or him, though i do in a gesture to conformity and soppiness slip a card in with his luggage. this is no longer a surprise to him!

PetulaGordino Tue 03-Feb-15 16:30:31

i can't imagine why i'd want to go out for it though - sitting in a restaurant where they've squeezed in double the number of table they usually have just to capitalise on the day. grim

LovesBooks Tue 03-Feb-15 20:52:54

To be honest I would be quite happy staying in as well but it seems pointless to get a babysitter to stay in. So this way at least we can get some real couple time without our 16 month old son even if we do have to deal with a 100 other couples grin

EBearhug Fri 06-Feb-15 00:13:45

I will be doing out of hours server upgrades. It was only after I'd submitted the change request that I even thought about it being Valentine's day.

I've received two Valentine's cards in my life (unless you count the ones my grandmother used to send me, my sister and each of my cousins.) I still have no idea who sent the one I got at uni (this might be a good thing; the message was, "I had no idea what to get you - what do you get for the girl who's had everyone?" Dunno where they got the idea I'd had everyone, either. My bedpost had just one and a half notches at that point in my life. Clearly made its mark on me somehow, though, as it was over 20 years ago.)

PetulaGordino Fri 06-Feb-15 07:17:09

Ugh how weird and grim Ebearhug

I like the half-notch though grin

WitchWay Fri 06-Feb-15 19:29:36

YY Valentine's Day NOT Valentine's angry

neme Fri 06-Feb-15 19:36:28

Leaves me cold, always has done. Popularity Contest/Stalkers' Charter.
Nearly frightened DH off a second date by saying how much I hated it and if he turned up with a bunch of red roses and a card he could shove them up his arse.

LazyJanePainter Fri 06-Feb-15 21:19:06

i can't imagine why i'd want to go out for it though - sitting in a restaurant where they've squeezed in double the number of table they usually have just to capitalise on the day. grim

It's even grimmer if you're not a couple. I was visiting a friend in Brussels one year with my son who was then 11 and naturally we went out to eat. The 3 of us were crammed in to a table for 2 with overpriced Valentine's day menu. The highlight was wondering which of us was going to get the complimentary red rose.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: