Talk

Advanced search

Mothers dressed up, are catcalled by their sons (in Peru)

(9 Posts)
BuffytheReasonableFeminist Tue 27-Jan-15 09:48:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FloraFox Tue 27-Jan-15 14:18:58

I see what you mean Buffy. I like the video because it demonstrates that these men don't get their behaviour from their families. The second guy was awful and tried to say it wasn't him. I wonder whether this would have any effect on their behaviour afterwards.

ReallyAngryBeavers Tue 27-Jan-15 18:17:29

That was amazing. I'm surprised to see that it's sponsored (basically an advert) by everlast. I'm not sure any companies with such a large male fan base would be willing to do that in the UK or the states.

HouseWhereNobodyLives Tue 27-Jan-15 19:15:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BeCool Wed 28-Jan-15 15:36:56

I didn't like it, and have been pondering why I don't like it. This is what I've come up with:

1. It's all about the men.

2. The men's first instinctive reaction is to lie to their mothers. This blows away any veil of "respect" they have for their mothers as people. This whole exercise is meant to be Chauvinists are Horrible to Their Mothers being The Women Even They Respect. And it is untrue. If they did respect their mothers, their first instinct wouldn't be to lie to them. The point that these men don't respect any women, not even their mothers, isn't the point they were trying to make here, but I think it would have been more successful it it was.

3. I think rather than being 'shamed' these guys will draw great kudos from being 'punked' on TV.

4. It's all about the men.

5. I don't see the men being horrified that their mother is being harassed. They are horrified to realise that their mother knows they are harassers of women. They are horrified for themselves, not for their mothers.

6. Which leads me to make the point once again that this whole exercise is all about the men.

noddingoff Wed 28-Jan-15 16:06:15

I thought it interesting that in both cases the men were horrified that their mothers were "making a scene" in public....this seemed to shock and dismay them as much as the fact that they had catcalled their own mothers. Pretty telling - fine for men to shout all sorts of embarrassing offensive stuff at women in public....but a woman making a scene in public? Quelle horreur!
If this is the prevailing attitude then it goes to prove the theory that men get away with abuse because women have been trained by society not to make a fuss.

ReallyAngryBeavers Wed 28-Jan-15 16:06:27

I think rather than being 'shamed' these guys will draw great kudos from being 'punked' on TV.

I'm pretty sure once an entire country sees you call your mom tastypanties you've lost all street cred.

trice Wed 28-Jan-15 16:09:37

It is an interesting advert. I am not sure that it will solve the problem but at least it points out that it is a problem.

BriarRainbowshimmer Wed 28-Jan-15 22:09:31

I liked it, it exposes how selfish and cowardly they are. "It wasn't me! Mum, don't make a scene, what if I lose my job!" Compliments my ass, they want to intimidate someone they know won't threaten them back.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: