Talk

Advanced search

What if Audre Lorde and Mary Daly had had MN?

(15 Posts)
BuffytheReasonableFeminist Fri 23-Jan-15 12:47:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PetulaGordino Fri 23-Jan-15 14:14:58

i have both gyn/ecology and sister outsider in my to-read pile. i need to bump them both up the list i think now

it's interesting because while new technologies mean the act of sending something from one to another can be more or less instantaneous, the actual thinking time, where you absorb and mull over and formulate a response is not necessarily something that could or should be quicker. though we might demand that it should be in this day and age

PetulaGordino Fri 23-Jan-15 14:16:17

it's a bit like the 24-hr news cycle isn't it? something happens, it's news, and then someone who should respond to this happening takes some time to respond formally to the press, and then that in itself is news "we are still awaiting a response from XYZ"...

AskBasil Sat 24-Jan-15 11:11:43

Hmm. I think on the whole the way twitter, Facebook groups etc. work, probably militate against a considered, thought out conversation -it's all quick, kneejerk stuff isn't it?

Even when someone posts a link to something long and complex and excellent, I tend to copy and paste it to print out so that I can read later and think about it properly. When there's a fast moving thread going on, I tend to not bother to read links properly then and there. By the time I've read it it's a month later and that thread is in the past, the conversation is over. This is even on feminist threads where people tend to be more thoughtful, considered, careful in how they phrase things etc.

One of my New Year's Resolutions for this year is to spend less time engaging on FB, twitter etc. for that reason. It feels like work (quite stressful, feeling you have to keep up with things and stay reading even though you've got other stuff to do) and I'm not sure you get v. far with it.

Not sure if the internet would have helped, wd probably have made it worse. What tends to happen is that things pass into legend "x said this on that famous thread (that might now have been deleted so you can't go back to source) so that's what she thinks" and everything else she's ever said on the subject since gets ignored. Not to mention that x was de-railed by mansplainers and had to spend loads of time and energy dealing with them, which Daly and Lorde wouldn't have had to consider when writing to each other so they could concentrate on the actual subject they were trying to discuss. grin

BuffytheReasonableFeminist Sat 24-Jan-15 11:24:04

AskBasil Sat 24-Jan-15 11:52:59

LOL. With chain letters

BuffytheReasonableFeminist Sat 24-Jan-15 12:04:41

AskBasil Sat 24-Jan-15 12:40:49

But no green ink.

grin

PuffinsAreFictitious Sat 24-Jan-15 12:59:15

Oh! I have a lovely writing desk and a bit of a thing for fountain pens.

I get Basil's point though about having to think and self edit when we wrote articles which were printed, rather than published online, or wrote letters etc than now, where our output has to be quicker and punchier.

Interesting, will ponder.

BuffytheReasonableFeminist Sat 24-Jan-15 13:09:31

FloraFox Sat 24-Jan-15 13:45:03

I read those letters and imagined a Twitter war with AL's letter reduced to a series of tweets and every other feminist getting dragged in, insults thrown etc.

I think social media has been great for giving a chance for ordinary women who are not professional feminists or writers to say what they think. I've read so many wonderful and inspiring threads on FWR that I would never have read elsewhere. Twitter, for all its faults, has opened new ways for women to organise and also to see how many men actually hate us.

tribpot Sat 24-Jan-15 14:02:10

Yes - the letters would have evoked an almighty and completely unhelpful shitstorm, which would have done them no justice. They are both fascinating, thoughtful, respectful and passionate.

But social media might have enable them to reach a far wider audience, as well as collaborate and interact with that audience. Furthering a respectful exchange of ideas is always a good thing - the trick is the 'respectful' bit!

BuffytheReasonableFeminist Sat 24-Jan-15 14:05:58

tribpot Sat 24-Jan-15 14:37:58

Yes, certainly I think MD would have access to a greater range of experience and knowledge if she could have tweeted about what she was working on.

AskBasil Sat 24-Jan-15 18:26:52

Yeah those letters would never have been written, would they? All of it wd have been done via twitter or blog

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: