Talk

Advanced search

sorry/thank you

(181 Posts)

A few months ago I posted, asking about feminism and making some generalisations, assumptions and the tired old 'we don't need feminism anymore ' got rolled out.

You all gave me a kick up the backside and told me to read about feminism. I did so, and it's revolutionised the way I think. I can't believe I insisted that we are treated fairly and equally. I'm reading Everyday Sexism at the moment and I've cried at bits, the inequality and pain that women have had to endure and the doors slammed in our faces on the basis of our sex.

Thank you for opening my eyes to the truth.

PuffinsAreFictitious Wed 07-Jan-15 20:50:32

Welcome back! Sorry the sexism has made you cry, it utterly sucks ass.

zinafaw Wed 07-Jan-15 20:53:35

To see both sides of the story have a look at Twitter hashtag #WomenAgainstFeminism or the Facebook page of the same name

PuffinsAreFictitious Wed 07-Jan-15 20:58:29

Welcome to MN, Zinafaw. hmm

Enormouse Wed 07-Jan-15 21:05:51

Hi moomin I 've seen you around and don't normally post in FWR. But I found your posts in the aibu abortion thread very interesting and well informed.

zinafaw Wed 07-Jan-15 21:21:37

I'm male and I know feminists don't care what men think, so that's why I recommend you take a look and see what non-feminist women think about feminism.

https://www.facebook.com/WomenAgainstFeminism

Today's post on the Facebook page looks at a feminist article which claims male victims of rape/sexual assault are still more "privileged" than women.

"I'm male and I know feminists don't care what men think"

I don't care what you think. It has nothing to do with your genitalia and everything to do with the rubbish you're posting.

zinafaw Wed 07-Jan-15 21:30:17

Yup, you choose who to listen to going by what they have or don't have between their legs.

So much for "equality"

OutsSelf Wed 07-Jan-15 21:30:58

It's not that we don't care what you or they think, it's that we think they are wrong and frequently misinterpret the entailments of patriarchal ideology - for example that men aren't able to look after children - as misandry and the fault of feminism. Or that pointing out the statistics for gender based violence is adopting a position of "victimisation"

TheFantasticFixit Wed 07-Jan-15 21:32:51

Zinafaw: male or not, that page is an absolute load of utter disgraceful shit.

OutsSelf Wed 07-Jan-15 21:33:06

It's definitely not that you have a penis, some of my best friends have them. Honestly, it's that you're full of shit. Plenty of women are too, if that's your concern.

zina I just said it has nothing to do with your genitalia.

I don't hate men. I'm engaged to one. I'm friends with many. I listen to their views and care about what they think.

cogitosum Wed 07-Jan-15 21:36:06

Zinafawnjust to confirm you're a woman? And you don't believe women should have equal rights to men?

TheCowThatLaughs Wed 07-Jan-15 21:41:27

No zinafaw's a man! He's come to explain things to the feminists!

zinafaw Wed 07-Jan-15 21:41:27

Of course I believe women should have equal rights to men. And for that matter also for people to have the same rights regardless of ethnicity/sexual orientation/disability etc.

But I'm not a feminist.

TheCowThatLaughs Wed 07-Jan-15 21:42:26

Why not zinafaw?

zinafaw Wed 07-Jan-15 21:42:35

"He's come to explain things to the feminists!"

Don't take my word for it, try listening to the 30,000 (and counting) on the Women Against Feminism FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/WomenAgainstFeminism

HazleNutt Wed 07-Jan-15 21:43:38

I read the 'arguments' on the site. Like that 'But I want to be a stay at home mum!!'
Well great. What's the problem with feminism? confused

zinafaw Wed 07-Jan-15 21:43:51

I'm just a man. Men are stupid simpleton Neanderthal pigs, right? Women are wayyy superior regarding intelligence, wisdom and everything that isn't physical strength (which is a nasty male macho trait anyway).

AskBasil4StuffingRecipe Wed 07-Jan-15 21:44:00

<Waves at Moomin>

Welcome to the coven.

grin

TheCowThatLaughs Wed 07-Jan-15 21:46:01

Im familiar with arguments against feminism, but having read about the subject, I've come to the conclusion that I am a feminist. What do you think I could learn from that page?

HazleNutt Wed 07-Jan-15 21:47:12

Confused Cats Against Feminism site makes more sense.

GraysAnalogy Wed 07-Jan-15 21:48:56

Really good to read this. The first time I posted here I explained that I don't identify as a feminist, for reasons I explained (simplified, my experiences in 'real life' with modern feminists haven't been pleasant), but I do enjoy talking and debating with people on here. A lot of sense is spoken.

PuffinsAreFictitious Wed 07-Jan-15 21:49:53

I prefer the @NoToFeminism thing on Twitter.

I'm just a man. Men are stupid simpleton Neanderthal pigs, right? Women are wayyy superior regarding intelligence, wisdom and everything that isn't physical strength (which is a nasty male macho trait anyway).

Says no feminist.

Maybe if, instead of reading what people think feminists say, and actually reading what they do say, you'd have a much less warped view of your own sex. And ours.

Reading that page has only made me more secure in identifying as a feminist. I realise now that I was conditioned to see feminism as a 'victim identity'. When actually, pages like that prove that we need feminism right now as much as we ever have.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now