Talk

Advanced search

Ched Evans signed by Oldham Athletic

(184 Posts)
Itscurtainsforyou Wed 07-Jan-15 13:39:32

Unbelievable - apparently they've already lost one sponsor...

BathtimeFunkster Wed 07-Jan-15 13:43:07

sad

I hope they come regret this.

AWholeLottaNosy Wed 07-Jan-15 13:43:14

Oh no, so the petition had no effect? Sad day.

cadno Wed 07-Jan-15 13:45:24

Maybe they didn't want to be bullied.

PuffinsAreFictitious Wed 07-Jan-15 13:48:18

They've lost 2 sponsors.

Sad day for decent humans everywhere.

AWholeLottaNosy Wed 07-Jan-15 13:49:39

Reading this article, it feels like the football version of an Old Boys' club. Sickening.

www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/ched-evans-to-oldham-athletic-family-will-pay-up-to-pave-the-way-for-deal-with-league-one-club-9961432.html

FreudiansSlipper Wed 07-Jan-15 14:02:43

sadly not surprised

I heard it was one but if two sponsors have been lost things can still change and I think they will

the petition did have an impact as sponsors have been lost and more people are giving this thought

PuffinsAreFictitious Wed 07-Jan-15 14:13:34

Yes, Verlin and Mecca bingo are both sponsors who have said they will be pulling out if they sign the rapist.

The reaction of a few of the other sponsors has been awful though. Seems they want their pet rapist on a pitch at any cost.

Amethyst24 Wed 07-Jan-15 14:20:34

My god, his father-in-law sounds totally deluded.

Surely the best form of protest would be a boycott by the fans, but I can't see that happening.

Fullpleatherjacket Wed 07-Jan-15 14:22:27

So the gf's father is effectively buying Evans a place on the team?

It does beg the question of why she and her family seem so very desperate to back him in the face of all reason.

BreakingDad77 Wed 07-Jan-15 14:27:16

Surely boycott Karl Masseys business's too?
companycheck.co.uk/director/901776461

BIWI Wed 07-Jan-15 14:30:05

Oh cadno.

How awful for people to be 'bullying' those who are so dense and intolerant that they might consider a convicted rapist as a future son in law or employee.

I wonder on what basis you could possibly be supporting him?

(Although I note from AS that you seem to delight in being an irritant on the feminist boards - so I await your reply with predictable ennui)

curiousgeorgie Wed 07-Jan-15 14:34:34

I don't understand his girlfriends family. At all.

Do they not have enough respect for their daughter to think she's worth more than at worst, a convicted unapologetic rapist and at best, an adulterer?

I actually feel sorry for her.

Amethyst24 Wed 07-Jan-15 14:44:45

I've posted on Twitter about it and am now being retweeted by loads of Sheffield Wednesday fans, which is a bit disconcerting grin

grimbletart Wed 07-Jan-15 15:37:34

I see karma in the future. Just imagine, Evans marries his girlfriend and will be in hock to her for the rest of his life. Think how every argument they have she can say "and to think I stood by you when…" or "is this how you treat me when I stood by you…..". And when they divorce after he is caught not raping someone else she can take him to the cleaners for millions of his ill gotten gains.

Maybe that's the plan…..grin

ptumbi Wed 07-Jan-15 15:42:08

'Bullied', Cadno? Oh no, poor, bullied Football club, only wanting to sign a comvicted, unrepentant Rapist? One who is himself still bullying and harrassing, and causing others to harass and harangue and terrify, his victim??

Yep. We, the public, are the bullies.

Trooperslane Wed 07-Jan-15 15:48:23

Yy to curiousgorgie.

If DD ended up with a cheater I'd be up in arms, never mind a convicted rapist. confusedshock

Lilybensmum1 Wed 07-Jan-15 15:51:52

Not surprised however I am surprised he still has a girlfriend. I would be long gone money or not, and what were her parents thinking?

BuffyWithChristmasEarings Wed 07-Jan-15 16:13:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

northender Wed 07-Jan-15 16:21:22

sad angry sad

AWholeLottaNosy Wed 07-Jan-15 16:31:08

I wonder how the poor victim is feeling today...

BugBugBug Wed 07-Jan-15 16:36:59

Sadly it almost feels inevitable that he was going to get signed somewhere.

Maybe it's not over yet if sponsors are pulling out...

MarjorieMelon Wed 07-Jan-15 16:37:19

I don't understand the girlfriends family. I can only assume that they think the way he behaved is a reasonable way to treat women. This would also explain his girlfriend sticking by him. They may be rich but money clearly doesn't buy morals or intelligence.

PuffinsAreFictitious Wed 07-Jan-15 16:37:49

I hope she knows how much support she has from anyone with a brain and a moral compass. I hope she sees how hard people have been fighting for her and all survivors. Mostly, I hope she's well supported by people that love her.

AWholeLottaNosy Wed 07-Jan-15 16:43:16

I wonder if she regrets going to the police now? So few women feel able to report rape anyway, this case hasn't helped at all.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: