Talk

Advanced search

Bloody hell, how can this be allowed?

(29 Posts)
Gimmesomemore Wed 07-Jan-15 00:12:07

Ok, I'm sorry if I've posted this is the wrong section, but I cannot believe what I've just read online.

I was googling my local mp, a female, for Chatham and Aylesford, and followed a story from 2013 where a local nightclub had a "low cut = free entry" for female clubbers promotion. Basically she is condemning the whole stunt etc etc.

Anyway, as I was reading about this, a thread within ARRSE popped up in a google search linking her to this story. The thread titled "Bloody fuckin' femmies".

I only read a few posts, which were pure filth and vile, mumsnet were mentioned more than once.....but bloody hell, how is this allowed?

I'm unsure whether it's ok for me to link, but I'm so shocked!

caroldecker Wed 07-Jan-15 00:35:43

Well if you don't link, we have no idea what you are talking about. Most things are allowed.

HouseWhereNobodyLives Wed 07-Jan-15 06:54:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Gimmesomemore Wed 07-Jan-15 06:57:16

www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/bloody-fuckin-femmies.196532/

Gimmesomemore Wed 07-Jan-15 07:02:35

Hopefully that link has worked.

The news story that provoked the thread is here

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-21902806

Gimmesomemore Wed 07-Jan-15 09:27:38

HouseWhereNobodyLives - no nothing that incites people to commit crimes.

However, a UK military forum that allows such vile, misogynistic comments, surely shouldn't be unchallenged?

Are these views acceptable for military personnel, even if a few, to display without fear of any retribution?

LightningOnlyStrikesOnce Wed 07-Jan-15 10:00:31

That is true of course gimme, but the even bigger problem is that too many men actually think this way. We can protest the public display of it by all means, it will just be the few voices that are shouting loudest,and stopping the public display will cut the social reinforcement mechanisms. Which we definitely need.

Perhaps we should be campaigning for women to be covered by hate speech laws, since those exist?

HouseWhereNobodyLives Wed 07-Jan-15 10:04:30

LightningOnlyStrikesOnce Wed 07-Jan-15 10:04:47

Trouble is they'd be hiding behind that 'can't you take a joke' attitude...

caroldecker Wed 07-Jan-15 10:10:18

Any view should be free to be mentioned as long as no incitement to crime. Free speech is very important, even if you disagree with it.

BreakingDad77 Wed 07-Jan-15 10:11:51

From the ARRSE forum -
"Pffft last time I was in Shagascruff me & the lads watched a wet T shirt competition where all these fit slags ended up all but naked and practically shagging each other & noshing each other out for free cocktails & tickets into BCM nightclub, never heard any of them complaining about being degraded!"

Men should obviously see this as degrading, and the night should be a failure anyway as it should be boycotted, and the guys that do turn up find a club with no women in it. Female patriachy enablers don't help either.

If a DJ etc goes "free drinks/tickets for next bird that....." there should be tumbleweed.

Gimmesomemore Wed 07-Jan-15 10:12:05

How depressing.

I'm contemplating forwarding the link to the mp herself, to see what her thoughts are on this. Especially re hate speech and women.

I'm shocked that contributors to that forum are of a military background, and some in a position of trust I assume.

LineRunner Wed 07-Jan-15 10:15:23

There's a lot of sad inadequates on that site pretending to be something in the military. Pathetic really. They probably sit at their keyboards wearing nappies.

LineRunner Wed 07-Jan-15 10:17:00

If you think some of them really are in the military, as opposed to them all trolling each other, forward it on to the MoD.

LightningOnlyStrikesOnce Wed 07-Jan-15 10:24:36

Caroldecker, yes all right. The trouble is is that in the long run free speech of this kind of misogynistic nature does incite crime, by creating and perpetuating the hate. It recreates daily an atmosphere and culture where it is acceptable to treat women like dirt, where all women are is convenient cunts for mento fuck at their whim, where eventually - violence towards women is condoned, even encouraged.

The hate speech laws recognise this is the case for religious and ethnic groups, so why shouldn't it be recognised for that most ill-treated group, women? The more I think of it that's one hell of a gap. Which proves something of itself.

In the op case, by the way, with the repeated mention of mumsnet I am wondering if it wasn't originally a bait. With some genuine arseholes whivh crawled out of the woodwork as they always do. Anyone know if they're looking to increase advert revenue or something?

I would discourage clicking on that link any more anyway.

caroldecker Wed 07-Jan-15 10:41:29

lightning I disagree with the laws around free speech and 'protected categories' such as religion and race, so am not going to add to a repressive list - once you add women, you then have to add men and all feminist writing could be banned

HouseWhereNobodyLives Wed 07-Jan-15 10:57:04

JustAnotherControlFreak Wed 07-Jan-15 11:09:59

As a female in the forces I'd just like to add that this is totally normal chatter from our male counterparts. It's something that we females learn to get on with and take with little more than a pinch of salt.

PuffinsAreFictitious Wed 07-Jan-15 11:24:24

Just I'm really sorry that's the case for you. I've found the opposite, and none of the guys around me make sexist jokes anymore, because they know that every single time they do, I will call them on it.

RedHairDontCare Wed 07-Jan-15 11:34:42

This is a great website to share links without improving their standing on Google www.donotlink.com/. Using this means we don't give that awful website any credability.

JustAnotherControlFreak Wed 07-Jan-15 17:57:27

Puffins I have found that I've got to a point where I just can't get wound up by it anymore. I know it's not right but I find that calling them on it just draws attention to it and makes them play on their immaturity all the more. I just feel for the women that are bothered by it. I realise that by letting it go I'm a part of the problem but when you're outnumbered 1:10 at any given moment it's sometimes just a battle not worth fighting.

PuffinsAreFictitious Wed 07-Jan-15 18:06:48

Just I completely understand, and wouldn't blame you for perpetuating it. The guys don't make stupid jokes anymore, but they also think I'm a miserable bitch. I'm cool with that grin

TrojanWhore Wed 07-Jan-15 18:24:24

Not the ARRSE wars again.

The reason MN is mentioned is because of the history between the sites. And I suspect a thread like this will kick it all off for the umpteenth time.

Would you want MN judged by one of two threads in AIBU? Or ones started by known problematic posters? Or would you say there is more to MN than that, and most posters are normal?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now