Advanced search

Girls school shoes

(55 Posts)
BlameItOnTheBogey Mon 05-Jan-15 12:12:23

Am I looking in the wrong place? I want to buy dd (5) a decent, warm pair of shoes that she can run, climb and kick a ball in. Easy to do for ds but the only thing in the shops for dd appear to be mary janes, which are basically ballet flats with a strap. They aren't robust or particularly warm. Do shoe makers think 5 year old girls only want to simper around the playground playing fairies?

I tried to get a pair of boys shoes for dd but she doesn't want something that others will tell her is for boys. I get that but I am SO angry that shoemakers can't make strong shoes for girls that will keep her feet warm and allow her to kick a ball without falling apart. She's five for goodness sake.

Has anyone managed to solve this?

RiverTam Mon 05-Jan-15 12:17:32

DD, also 5, is at a non-uniform school and shoes are one of the reasons why I am quite pleased about this. However, she does have mary janes as one of her pairs of shoes and whilst I agree with you about warmth (her other pair are sort of shoe/boots) they are perfectly robust and durable, DD is pretty active, she's worn them to the park on many occasions, she can run, climb and kick a ball in them and I fully expect them to last until she grows out of them. They weren't cheap, though.

I believe that Kickers do girls' school shoes, they seem both warm and robust.

nobutreally Mon 05-Jan-15 12:20:57

Dd has maryjanes, but they are super solid startrite ones. Ime they are sturdier, and more foot covering. Otherwise, there's no law against buying boys shoes (d has had various of those in the past.

InMySpareTime Mon 05-Jan-15 12:23:19

We got Toughees shoes for DD (via Amazon). They're from SA I think, and are durable, sensible etc but still stylish enough for 10yo DD. Not sure what sizes they go down to though.

Fillybuster Mon 05-Jan-15 12:23:36

Watching with interest. There's no way dd1 (7) would agree to wear boys shoes, and she's very conscious of other girls in her class having 'pretty' shoes, but she also wants to be able to run/climb/kick etc.

Sadly the school have a very strict shoe policy, so can only look at black...

Pippidoeswhatshewants Mon 05-Jan-15 12:24:12

Startrite and ecco do closed / non-mary jane styles for girls.

Singleandproud Mon 05-Jan-15 12:27:20

My DD (5) took a chunk of leather off her Clark's Mary Janes on the first day of school and by the end of term they were completely trashed. I hate that girls shoes are so impractical so brought her these just before she broke up Geox. They are awesome, a nice thick cover on the toe so they don't get scuffed, warm and waterproof and DD loves her 'Winter' shoes. They may not look good with skirts but she only wears trousers anyway.

Beehatch Mon 05-Jan-15 12:29:19

We buy Clarkes boys shoes. They do at least one design which is plain leather with Velcro. Nothing to trainer-y or with 'boy' style embellishments. Fairly unisex, but tough and fully enclosed, as is needed in this weather.

Singleandproud Mon 05-Jan-15 12:31:38

Also in terms of being boys shoes, I just told my DD they weren't boys they were 'Winter' shoes so her socks don't get wet in the snow and rain, she accepts this. Buying online probably helped as we didn't look in the 'boys' section of a shop. The goes ones aren't obviously aimed at boys with footballers or spiders etc on them just plain black leather.

ReallyTired Mon 05-Jan-15 12:34:07

dd has a pair of boys shoes and she loves them. Inspite of being 5 years old she doesn't seem to care.

steppeupunderthemisletoe Mon 05-Jan-15 12:50:22

Totally agree, it winds me up. On rainy days the dds had to wear wellies up to school, in order to have dry feet for the day and then if they played outside at playtime they got soaked. ds was fine, his shoes were waterproof.

Trouble is, no-one wants to be odd one out, so dd won't wear different shoes form everyone else. (sigh)

Clarks do a couple of better styles, one has a closed lace front, so useless until they can do laces.

I have noticed though that a lot of girls at dds school wear black boot sof various types in the winter. My only hesitation is that boots aren't very comfy for sitting cross legged on the carpet.

I know others buy on-line, but we usually have to try on 4/5/6/ pairs to find a comfy fit, so no idea how you do that on-line.

steppeupunderthemisletoe Mon 05-Jan-15 12:51:11

Doesn't help when your dds have huge, long but narrow feet, so boys shoes look very large and ungainly

MyNameIsInigoMontoya Mon 05-Jan-15 12:52:00

This makes me mad too, we had the same issue!

I eventually got DD a pair of the (relatively plain/solid-looking) mary janes to wear with her Summer dresses, but for Winter and cold/wet we also got her a pair of boots - you can get various black ones which should be OK as uniform unless they are very strict. She also wears DS's cast-offs when doing anything particularly muddy or physical!

Still it does seem crazy that we could not find a SINGLE pair of foot-covering, rainproof actual shoes for a 5-year-old at school which weren't labeled as "Boys" or which you could get away with wearing with skirts/dresses without them looking odd. For DS we never had to get more than one pair of robust black shoes, which he could wear for school or at weekends and which covered every need - not so for the girls...

EauPea Mon 05-Jan-15 12:57:01

Dd has these

Ordered these for starting school in September, I was hoping her feet might have grown as Cloggs have sent me a 25% off voucher, but no such luck.

These have stood up to daily football, tree climbing and if i am totally honest, general hooligan behaviour. Toes get scuffed daily, but they polish up a treat.

GregorSamsa Mon 05-Jan-15 13:00:55

Highly recommend Toughees Christine

Each time we've had them they have lasted an entire school year, despite being worn to play football in. And they still looked good at the end.

meglet Mon 05-Jan-15 13:06:47

This winds me up to, I even e-mailed Clarks last year after other school mums were moaning about it. Obviously I just got a pathetic "there's no market for different style girls shoes.." response hmm.

6yo DD had boys shoes last year. She' currently got start-rite mary janes, they came up higer than other brands. But at the first sign of this winter turning really cold or wet I'll get her a sturdy pair of boys shoes.

A couple of her friends also wear boys shoes.

TwoLeftSocks Mon 05-Jan-15 13:13:56

My Mum was having a historic rant about this just the other day, sad to see it's still the same three decades later.

steppeinginto2015 Mon 05-Jan-15 13:28:20

Twoleftsocks - when i was at school, very very few schools had uniforms. With no uniform dds would wear trainers to school.

mausmaus Mon 05-Jan-15 13:31:16

I bought my dd plain shoes from the boy's section.
I want her to have dry and warm feet in the muddy season!
luckily most girls in her class also wear sensible shoes.

can't be difficult to make plain(ish) pretty closed girls shoes?

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 05-Jan-15 13:32:01

I agree. We use public transport and it gets cold and wet and I. have to lug her boots about he case the school shoes are so pathetic.

The one shoe I found that looked more robust stopped at a 13 which is what she is now so won't be any good for the next one.

consequently the shoes look a state. She has a high instep and narrow feet so those that are cut to just by the toe are no good. She needs a t bar or a decent lace up.

MrsCakesPrecognition Mon 05-Jan-15 13:34:01

Brogues are very trendy at the moment, so a trendy pair of Startrite brogues has been fantastic for DD. Just need to convince her to wear trousers instead of skirts in the cold weather.

AuntieStella Mon 05-Jan-15 13:34:03

DD now wears girls' brogues, but they're hard to find under a size 13.

mausmaus Mon 05-Jan-15 13:34:50

...and don't get me started on girl's boots with non-profiled soles, wtf is that about?

gybegirl Mon 05-Jan-15 13:35:01

Meglet. I did the same (emailed Clarkes) last year. All their summer shoes completely impractical. I had the conversation with my girls about "where are the shoes that you can climb a tree in or have an adventure ". All of them open toes, holes all over the place, 'pretty' colours and pretty crap if you ask me.

We (sadly) bought Clarkes school shoes. DD (8) hates hers with a passion. She later said why couldn't I have had the boys shoes. Stupidly (and rather unusually) it never occurred for me to look at them. I will next year.

WoTmania Mon 05-Jan-15 19:09:16

I had the same issue. I get DD (5) shoes from the boys section but always tell her that they are her shoes, she is a girl therefore they are girls' shoes. It only became a problem this year but she's known as being the fastest runner in her year (yr1) and I persuaded her it's because of her nice warm girlsshoesfromtheboysection. A couple of other girls in her year have similar shoes now grin.
I agree it's a nightmare though and would love the situation to change (happy to write letters etc) as the girls shoes aren't warm and let in water in a way the boys shoes don't and then people wonder why girls don't want to run around as much at breaktime.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now