Talk

Advanced search

Best simple introduction to feminism for faintly misogynistic man?

(6 Posts)
flexibleworkinghours Fri 02-Jan-15 20:15:15

As above, really.
I was thinking of sending him this:
www.commondreams.org/views/2008/04/13/men-explain-things-me-facts-didnt-get-their-way
He is deeply sexist and slightly misogynistic but I don't think he realises it, and I think I have persuaded him to at least listen. Last time we had a conversation he actually was quite thoughtful.
Have to go gently though.
Any other ideas?

TheOfficialPan Fri 02-Jan-15 22:43:30

Ummm..without wishing to pansplain at all...you could go a little more gently...??

flexibleworkinghours Fri 02-Jan-15 23:49:25

The thing is the men explain me facts is very readable.

and this man did in fact explain facts to me - he spent some time telling me that i was wrong about things that happen to women, and that women make a lot of fuss and they all have equal rights etc.

he is quite a decent man in many other ways.

i'm not sure he needs me to go gently.

he needs to think more intelligently.

he is an intelligent man with a great big whopping unintelligent gap when it comes to thinking about women.

but if you think i should go gently,
where should i go?
i picked up that new pamphlet by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
but i thought it was a bit slow and unpunchy.
and i thought the racial element would distract him.
he needs to confront race after he has confronted sex (even though the parallels are glaring).
otherwise it will be too much for him.
also he might dismiss the sexism element as being nigeria specific - rather than being part of a continuum of the way women are treated.

PuffinsAreFictitious Sat 03-Jan-15 11:35:10

That article seems completely ok, and quite a gentle intro to the whole genre of mansplaining. I'd send it.

and not just because it talks about the genius Muybridge at all, oh no

peachgirl Sat 03-Jan-15 13:21:58

I watched this Laura Bates video yesterday. Do you think he'd devote 15-ish minutes to watching it? She's articulate, calm (god forbid women get angry or emotional about the injustices mentioned in it, and Laura knows that!), and non-finger-pointing.

I also have pages and pages saved in my bookmarks!!

Men really need to stop calling women crazy (written by a man, if that helps)

10 common comments on feminist blogposts from the Guardian, by Laura Bates

Privilege, oppression, and being "nice" gives a simple analogy of stamping on someone's foot

Is misogyny worse now from the Guardian, written by five women, might not go down so well unless he reads it at the end?

Sexist Humor No Laughing Matter, Psychologist Says a scientific study from a US university

Men: accept that feminism isn't about you from the Telegraph, by a man!! I would recommend starting with this one because it's very well-written

Rape statistics for England and Wales in an easy-to-read layout, including lack of convictions and why

Louiseu2 Sun 04-Jan-15 01:17:30

I grew up and still live in an ex mining town - so an abundance of misogynistic men I've had the pleasure to gently debate with for years. Well not quite true. I've gently debated, I've tried to gently educate them, I've not risen to their sexist crap/insults and then I've argued and list my patience and temper. And now I'm older I get rid, if their sexism is on going, is in changeable by all of the above well it's bye bye. I've found life's to short and I don't want them around my children. Because they will disrespect you Infront of them . I'm not saying you can't change people but they actually have to want to change.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now