Talk

Advanced search

Women's writing & promotion thereof

(7 Posts)
scallopsrgreat Mon 15-Dec-14 15:27:46

A wonderful friend of mine (who is also a lapsed MN feminist) has written an e-book for tweens Lucy Evans, The InstaExplorer and I was thinking of ways of promoting her and it without getting deleted and began thinking about the wider picture. I've got two female friends now who have published e-books. Is this a decent way for women to get heard and to publish their writing? Could it actually be advantageous for women?

Bidisha writes a lot about cultural femicide as does SGM in her blog. It is a real thing especially when it comes to recognition for women and their writing. So I also thought that this might also be a thread for promoting women and their writing (all ages and genres). I'm always up for learning about new authors and genres that I might not always look at.

BuffyWithChristmasEarings Mon 15-Dec-14 16:20:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Amethyst24 Mon 15-Dec-14 23:38:11

Hello. I've been reading the FWR board for a year or so and posting over the past few months, and I'm a self-published author of romantic comedies that are, although genre fiction, I hope a bit different and thought-provoking in the way they look at gender roles.

Ahem.

Not sure what to do now. selfpromotionselfpromotionselfpromotion

BuffyWithChristmasEarings Tue 16-Dec-14 08:25:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

scallopsrgreat Tue 16-Dec-14 12:59:40

Well there is A Room of Our Own which promotes women's blog writing with generally a feminist slant but not completely. But it doesn't do reviews.

Its a great idea though (and in my head this thread would have been a cut down version of that).

I have this feeling that the electronic medium has increased women's voice and hence the backlash that occurs when women are deemed to be a bit too loud. Some of the space previously occupied by men is now occupied by women and the men don't like that. Pushing back a bit with yet more promotion for women's voices is always a good thing!

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Tue 16-Dec-14 17:29:23

There's a Facebook group called 'For Books' Sake' that promotes women writers, and various Twitter accounts whose names I can't remember right now.

scallopsrgreat Fri 19-Dec-14 11:08:51

Thanks for that Countess. I'll check it out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now