Talk

Advanced search

'Bimbo'

(12 Posts)
Flingingmelon Fri 12-Dec-14 22:42:07

The DH is reading an article in the Spectator that describes Francois Hollande's ex at the 'first bimbo'. The Spectator has form, previously dismissing all female reality TV stars at 'slags.'

I feel that in the word 'Bimbo' is offensive. DH doesn't agree, wondered what the enlightened ladies of Mumsnet think.

GoodboyBindleFeatherstone Fri 12-Dec-14 22:43:47

Of course it's offensive, it wouldn't be much of an insult if it wasn't.

YonicSleighdriver Fri 12-Dec-14 23:23:13

Of course it's an insult. Does he think "meat head" is an insult?

WidowWadman Fri 12-Dec-14 23:29:06

The word makes me cringe. Especially because in German it's a racist insult. Was pretty shocked when I first came across it in English (I think watching an episode of friends)

LucidCamel Sat 13-Dec-14 01:31:25

What does he think they meant if not an insult?

Mitchy1nge Sun 14-Dec-14 14:42:07

bimbo means little boy confused

AuntieStella Sun 14-Dec-14 14:56:28

In the 1920s, it was an epithet used for boys (with a meaning along the lines of 'pointless young ass').

I would definitely read it as a slight on the brainpower/gravitas of the person it was applied to.

Mitchy1nge Sun 14-Dec-14 14:57:36

but it does actually mean 'little boy' in italian

a little girl is a 'bimba'

YonicSleighdriver Sun 14-Dec-14 16:50:16

Sure, it does in Italian, but it's an insult in English, Mitchy.

OmnipotentQueenOfTheUniverse Sun 14-Dec-14 22:17:20

What does your DH think it means?

I don't like it generally and extra plus as it is often "blonde bimbo" and I hate the connection that blonde female = thick as pigshit.

Anyway here is a dictionary defn of a standard meaning in the UK to those who are not familiar: "an attractive but stupid young woman"

OmnipotentQueenOfTheUniverse Sun 14-Dec-14 22:19:02

Oh I ask what your DH thinks it means as obviously it's an insult in the "she's a bimbo" UK sense so he must think it means something else?

AWholeLottaNosy Sun 14-Dec-14 22:21:27

Does he also think calling women birds is also ok?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now