Talk

Advanced search

Good news

(8 Posts)
Amethyst24 Thu 04-Dec-14 13:11:14

www.theguardian.com/law/2014/dec/04/judge-rules-mother-not-guilty-of-for-drinking-while-pregnant

Looks like this criminalisation of pregnant women nonsense has been nipped in the bud for now. smile

GregsAnatomy Thu 04-Dec-14 13:21:59

That poor child though. I don't agree with criminalisation, as I don't see how that helps. But I have mainly sympathy for the child.

Amethyst24 Thu 04-Dec-14 13:24:53

I have huge sympathy for the child, but also for any woman whose substance dependence problems are so severe she's not able to stop during pregnancy, even when supported and counselled to do so.

cailindana Thu 04-Dec-14 14:21:10

Very glad to hear it. IMO if they criminalised drinking in pregnancy then they would have to start criminalising drinking for everyone.

cailindana Thu 04-Dec-14 14:23:24

To add, it seems odd to say that you are allowed under law to take drugs that kills a foetus but taking (legal) drugs that harm it is not allowed.

YonicScrewdriver Thu 04-Dec-14 22:19:54

Good.

Greysanderson Thu 04-Dec-14 22:33:09

I feel sorry for that child so sad.

Seabright Fri 05-Dec-14 13:41:31

I'm glad that they have made this decision, but also glad I wasn't the person having to make it.

It would have been a "thin end of the wedge" situation if the opposite decision had been made, but I would hope that maybe this will shine a light on the help (or lack of) for alcoholic pregnant women.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now