Talk

Advanced search

Itv: the new 'advert'

(12 Posts)
Boomtownsurprise Wed 03-Dec-14 22:24:30

Watching I'm a celeb and an advert for itv came on. A 30's ish woman wandering round her house having inane conversation with various daytime tv stars.

Don't like it. What's the deal? 30's women to lazy to work? Sahms busy doing nothing? Why not oap, student, sick person, a male?

My opinion? You can take your advert and shove it up your very rude jacksy. #everydaysexism

fsmile

Wrong or right?

EBearhug Wed 03-Dec-14 22:38:10

Haven't seen the ad. Were they there in the house with her, or was she talking to the screen?

Reminds me a bit of Guy's wife in Fahrenheit 451, where she watches the walls (which are basically giant TV screens.)

KateeGee Wed 03-Dec-14 23:10:34

I know the one, I find it hilarious grin the way the woman is totally nonplussed by the creepy sight of Phillip Schofield on her sofa.

I didn't read it the same as you did though. I read it as aiming at housewives, saying that ITV can be your background noise while you go about your busy day, and your companion while you put your feet up for a well deserved break. They don't need to target students, they are lazy enough as it is. They're just hoing for their target audience, just as Radio 1 goes for the yoof. I find Radio 1 adverts make me feel all itchy now I am 30, when I was 14 they were the coolest thing ever.

INickedAName Wed 03-Dec-14 23:43:24

Settle down on the sofa with coffee and spend the morning with Amanda and Philip, then eat your lunch with the Loose Women. I Got the same impression as OP but couldnt put it into words properly.
DH joked that sexist is my most used word lately, it's true though. Since having my eyes opened on a shaving body hair thread a while ago I'm seeing it everywhere, little things on a daily basis that I'd never paid attention to and when I do I'll say "sexist" or "that was a bit sexist". Not so long ago dd,dh and I would try to guess what product the adverts were for, now we look for examples of sexism, sounds silly I know but it's actually been a good starting point for some discussions.

KateeGee Wed 03-Dec-14 23:55:46

Here it is (Digital Spy link)

I don't think it suggests she is lazy. She's up at 6am for a start. And she manages to get dressed, more than I could do in my ITV watching student days grin

I reckon she works from home and has ITV on before she starts work and during coffee/lunch breaks. Or perhaps she is a childminder.

I don't think they featured a man as a men are not their target audience. They produce a particular type of tv aimed at women who are probably SAHMs, not suggesting they do nothing but they certainly could have the tv on in the background. BBC 1/2 daytime shows are more aimed at OAPs. C4 possibily younger or more highbrow prprogramming. The ads just feature the kind of woman they imagine would enjoy ITV in the daytime, if that's sexist then you are right. I don't think the ad portrays the woman negatively though.

The actual programmes are shite, yes.

INickedAName Wed 03-Dec-14 23:56:59

linkto the advert

INickedAName Wed 03-Dec-14 23:57:51

Sorry xpost links. Took forever to find it lol.

MollyBdenum Thu 04-Dec-14 00:06:46

Maybe her days off work fall on weekdays.

Boomtownsurprise Thu 04-Dec-14 09:38:18

Interesting mixed response. I have seen it a few times now. Still dislike how vacuous it makes a woman look. And the loose women bit makes me want to hurl.

If she's doing something else why not show that? They don't they only show her directly engaging with the Stars. I could find it funny if Phil schofield was on her sofa waving madly "yoo hoo! Over here!" While she's on her laptop...

almondcakes Thu 04-Dec-14 10:15:41

This is the second time recently where somebody has come on to complain about women being shown at home apparently enjoying themselves in adverts. Nothing whatsoever about this advert suggests the woman even has kids, let alone is a SAHM.

God forbid a woman is seen to be doing nothing.

I am doing nothing at all right now.

KateeGee Thu 04-Dec-14 10:28:50

She does have a lovely house though

Boomtownsurprise Fri 05-Dec-14 14:55:10

For me it just uses the stereotype of woman being lazy and men at work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now