Talk

Advanced search

101 year old woman and politics

(7 Posts)
twoguitars Fri 28-Nov-14 13:05:32

I have name changed for this as it is about a family member. This link is about Annie Murphy, who is 101 and has been in the national press for talking about learning and politics, including her own experiences of women's inequality.

I thought this would of interest to posters on here. She has always been an inspiration to me and has never been afraid to speak up about the need to fight inequality.

www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/2014-11-26/101-year-old-teacher-still-inspiring-learners/

Usual warning that if you read any other online newspaper reports on this, don't read the comments!

TheGirlFromIpanema Fri 28-Nov-14 14:39:32

What an awe inspiring woman to be still passing on her knowledge at 101 smile

You must be proud two!

I am shock that the article seems to be saying that even though she was 'allowed' to continue working after marriage her pay was docked by £1 per week! £1 must have been a fortune in those days!

PuffinsAreFictitious Sun 30-Nov-14 11:28:16

What an amazing woman!

Please make sure all her talks and memories are recorded, maybe ask the BBC? Their listening project is really good. An archive of lived experience such as hers should be saved for posterity, there are far too many people who just don't realise that, if you really want something, you have to fight for it and make stupid comments like, if you want more women MPs, you just have to vote for them, without understanding the background to the issue.

Thanks for sharing, please let Annie know that she's an inspiration smile

NormaStanleyFletcher Sun 30-Nov-14 15:09:14

Thank you for sharing. What an inspiration.

CatWitch Sun 30-Nov-14 15:13:43

What an amazing woman! I am imagining all the changes she has seen in the world. So important for everyone to realise how far we have come as women and how far we still need to go. Wishing her continued good health and happy days..

twoguitars Mon 01-Dec-14 13:54:44

Puffins, getting a recording done and archived is a very good idea. Thank you for the suggestion.

PuffinsAreFictitious Mon 01-Dec-14 15:01:29

No worries, I wish we'd done it with my grandfather.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now