Talk

Advanced search

Urgh feminism for 5 year olds...

(13 Posts)
Maki79 Thu 27-Nov-14 22:30:19

My dd came home from school yesterday to say she is in the nativity play and she is 'just the innkeepers wife'.

We had a good old chat about it! About how she actually is also an innkeeper.

Today, she comes home after more practice and she says 'I'm not just an innkeepers wife mummy I also have other hobbies but Xx is the REAL innkeeper, I just married him'.

She has also been told she's a 'bossy wife' and she has lines which tell her husband off and then slams the door in the midwifes' face.

My dd is....strong willed, confident and she has been typecast at the age of 5!

I find the whole thing a bit amusing, and v interesting and actually it's been a great opportunity to talk to her about feminism in a v simple way.

No questions really, just thought I'd share!

NiceCupOfTeaAndAPartyRing Tue 02-Dec-14 12:30:50

Christ that's depressing sad

whatdoesittake48 Tue 02-Dec-14 15:35:37

Did the teacher put her right on the ins and outs of property law, then?

GraysAnalogy Tue 02-Dec-14 15:37:40

For god's sake sad Glad you managed to have a good chat with her about it though.

I remember I was the inkeeper in my nativity. No-ones wife thats for sure.

kim147 Tue 02-Dec-14 23:14:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ErrolTheDragon Tue 02-Dec-14 23:30:23

My 'feminism for 5 yos' came very directly when DD's yr1 teacher asked them all what they wanted to be when they grew up and she said 'a builder' (by which she really meant something more like an engineer than a hoddie) and the teacher said 'girls can't be builders'. So DD grumpily said she'd be a ballet dancer because that's what all the other girls were saying.

She has never forgotten this, hasn't forgiven me for failing to Have Words with the teacher (mea culpa, I just told her the teacher was being silly, of course she could be what she wanted) - and at 15 she's deciding which A levels to take for her engineering degree.

So while it's bad that these situations arise, they can turn out to be quite positively formative!

Birdo83 Fri 05-Dec-14 16:55:41

*She has also been told she's a 'bossy wife' and she has lines which tell her husband off and then slams the door in the midwifes' face.

My dd is....strong willed, confident and she has been typecast at the age of 5! *

I know it's not nice to hear but the other kids and staff may see a bossy side to your 'strong-willed' darling. It's standard practice to put kids in the right parts that fit their character.

A bossy wife may be a stereotype but I suspect if she was a submissive wife you'd have issue with that too. A play of this nature is all about caricature with one clearly defined personality and not well-rounded people who meet somewhere in the middle. It helps them understand the role. They are 5 year olds, not method actors.

NoUnauthorisedParking Fri 05-Dec-14 17:06:03

Funny how there is no stereotype of a bossy husband though, eh?

bearhug Fri 05-Dec-14 20:42:02

Indeed, my bossy 6 year old DS gets praised for his leadership skills at school shock

TheOriginalSteamingNit Fri 05-Dec-14 20:44:56

Bossy and submissive, those are the two kinds of ladies that there are...

PuffinsAreFictitious Fri 05-Dec-14 20:53:01

Nativity plays are about caricature? Well, I'll go to the foot of our stairs!

There was me thinking they were about small children standing about looking shifty in badly made costumes apart from that ONE mother, who hand makes the costumes from scratch, ethnically correct and perfect, you know the one trying to remember the words to the carol they've been singing incessantly for the last 2 fucking months, but curiously can only remember about 3 fucking words of when they come to perform it in front of parents? Please don't tell me I'm wrong, you will destroy my fragile view of the world.

sad

uutiruc Sun 07-Dec-14 16:17:56

IMO the fact 5 year olds are still being fed with religious indoctrination in public school's today is a more important issue

PuffinsAreFictitious Sun 07-Dec-14 22:28:46

Ohhhhhhhhhhh, now it makes sense. You're American. Riiiiight.

Bless.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now