Talk

Advanced search

What's This??!! is it cynical art or twatty mudflaps??

(20 Posts)
sparklecrates Thu 27-Nov-14 22:15:23

http://people.rit.edu/wmhics/art/media/harrisMudFlapsI.jpg

RamsaySnowsSausage Thu 27-Nov-14 22:20:32

Crikey...where is this from? Yuck, yuck yuck.

scallopsrgreat Thu 27-Nov-14 22:23:19

What is it? I don't particularly want to click on a link without any satisfactory description and that elicits the kind of reaction from the previous poster.

EBearhug Thu 27-Nov-14 22:59:14

It's a papercut silhouette out of a seated woman with long hair, with all sorts of slang words for women across it.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Thu 27-Nov-14 23:33:27

It's the logo for a clothing range, is it Kappa or something?

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Thu 27-Nov-14 23:34:54

Oh, no, ignore me, that's a slightly different logo.

PuffinsAreFictitious Thu 27-Nov-14 23:53:57

That is pretty fucking grim.

EBearhug Fri 28-Nov-14 00:07:32

It is like that logo, but just one woman (I think the clothing logo has a mirror image, as if two women were sat back to back?) So it's that sort of seated on the ground position, rather than seated on a chair.

Dontlaugh Fri 28-Nov-14 00:10:58

Nasty.
And very possibly infringing copyright. Let's hope lawyers are watching. wink

caroldecker Fri 28-Nov-14 00:38:18

it is officially art

caroldecker Fri 28-Nov-14 00:38:58

sorry, the link in 'it' above is not obvious people.rit.edu/wmhics/art/wmhMudFlap.html

LineRunner Fri 28-Nov-14 00:44:35

It's a bit shit, I'll give it that.

BlameItOnTheBogey Fri 28-Nov-14 03:33:41

Oh oh! A colleague of mine recently wore cufflinks in this shape/logo to work and then was puzzled when I called him out on it….

Hazchem Fri 28-Nov-14 03:48:08

It's from a university! Come on what the hell is wrong with our world?

Hazchem Fri 28-Nov-14 03:49:43

It seams like naked babie art is the thing

GREYCROW Fri 28-Nov-14 04:01:45

I would have looked at it and thought cynical, no? Crap and easy but obviously garnering attention.

Homeriliad Fri 28-Nov-14 17:02:03

W Michelle Harris seems to be the artist (and associate professor). Looks like a lot of her work looks at the portrayal of women. I suspect this piece is a critique of sexist imagery rather than being sexist itself. Although I imagine some feminists will argue that any image of a woman is sexist regardless of context.

YonicScrewdriver Sat 29-Nov-14 00:07:14

" Although I imagine some feminists will argue that any image of a woman is sexist regardless of context."

Straw man.

Hazchem Sat 29-Nov-14 01:20:40

I think if you have a look at the barbie art with it's description
"This depiction of the mythic goddesses isn't quite the traditional maidens in garlands blithely dancing in the buff. They're eyeing each other's assets, and should you choose to get close enough to do the same (and put yourself on view in their mirrored stage), you'll hear a wolf-whistle or an appreciative "Yummmmy". "

You'd have to come down on the sexist imagery rather then calling out sexist imagery. the images are not subvert or interpretative of sexist imagery.

BobbyDarin Sat 29-Nov-14 01:26:44

The Mudflap Girl is a US truckers phenomenon. There's a piece from the NY Times from 2003 here www.nytimes.com/2003/08/19/nyregion/front-row-burly-girl-power.html that claims she was reappropriated by feminists although I'm not remotely convinced personally.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now