Talk

Advanced search

Man referring to a woman as a 'Filly'

(13 Posts)
EvansOvalPiesYumYum Wed 26-Nov-14 17:48:20

Evening all - just a quickie! I've unfortunately found myself engaging with a most obnoxious man (an entirely different forum). He sees himself as a "Terry Thomas" - type character, who refers to women as "fillies".

I've tried pulling him up on this, as I feel it is derogatory and insulting, but he just won't have it, and instead is now bullying me on my use of double quotation marks (as though they fall into the same camp, even if I am wrong) confused Now he's gathered a little group of other men to back him up. I don't want to back down, but am floundering a little, as I'm running out of retorts and need a little help as to what to say to him next, please, if anyone has time.

The word "filly" just sounds so belittling and unacceptable to me. Am I wrong? I think I just need to know if I'm right, before I think of what to say to him next.

Just off to start dinner now, but will be back in a while. Thanks so much (in advance)

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pinkyredrose Wed 26-Nov-14 18:12:57

Call him a gelding?

meandjulio Wed 26-Nov-14 18:16:01

'I don't want to back down'

Why? Just stop answering. They will all congratulate themselves on being right about referring to women as young horses/possessions not being insulting, when it clearly is. Who gives a fuck? SIWOTI will drive you insane.

BrucieTheShark Wed 26-Nov-14 18:20:30

Just borrow a filly and a pack of hunting dogs.

Give him a 5 minute head start.

Or maybe 2 minutes.

HaroldsBishop Wed 26-Nov-14 18:26:16

Just call him a Colt. And perhaps mispronounced the "ol" sound as a "un" sound?

YonicScrewdriver Wed 26-Nov-14 20:02:45

"I'd rather be a filly than a cockweasel. Night night!"

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Wed 26-Nov-14 20:16:23

Thank you all - I've actually just said very similar to Yonic's response (incl the "Night night", which also goes along with Jullio's train of thought! (You can't swear on that website, otherwise other words might have popped out of my typing fingers).

Think I just wanted assurance that he is a pathetic man. Thanks everyone!!

rissepuc Thu 27-Nov-14 00:43:54

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

PresidentTwonk Thu 27-Nov-14 01:26:40

'You're rapey'? confused

Chunderella Thu 27-Nov-14 16:09:14

Is he a refugee from the 80s?

AMumInScotland Thu 27-Nov-14 16:15:18

"As a woman, I feel that it is derogatory and insulting. In my experience, the majority of woman agree with my viewpoint. If you particular men are certain that you know better than women how they ought to feel about such terms, there isn't a lot of point in our discussing this further, as the issue is far wider than this single piece of wording."

MiniTheMinx Thu 27-Nov-14 16:20:53

He must have a bit of a thing for females with four legs, big teeth and a tail, sounds a bit pervy to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now