Talk

Advanced search

Learning about feminism

(6 Posts)
TwllBach Tue 18-Nov-14 10:41:06

I want to learn things...

If you had to give a complete novice recommendations for books and/or websites, what would be your top picks?

LurcioAgain Tue 18-Nov-14 11:51:50

Hi Twll (have always loved your username, btw!)

My favourite starting point, in the sense that it's surely something we can all agree on, is that famous quote from Rebecca West: "I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat."

But it's such an enormous area, hard to know where to start.

Glosswitch or Gia Milinovich's websites are good.

I've got a fondness for books that debunk gender stereotypes, so Cordelia Fine's "Delusions of Gender", Deborah Cameron's "The Myth of Mars and Venus" or Lise Elliot's "Pink Brain, Blue Brain" are good.

TwllBach Tue 18-Nov-14 11:56:19

Haha diolch Lurcio! I love coming across Welsh MNers, it feels like a secret club grin

I've seen that quote before and love it too. Thanks for the recommendations, I shall have a good browse!

LurcioAgain Tue 18-Nov-14 12:00:01

In the interests of full disclosure, not Welsh (Scottish), but have climbed there enough to know a little bit about how to pronounce it and the meaning of the odd word here and there.

TwllBach Tue 18-Nov-14 12:07:41

In fairness, I'm English, not Welsh either blush but have lived here and taught here so have also picked up the odd bit.

I'd love to learn to climb!! Where have you climbed?

EBearhug Tue 18-Nov-14 23:20:43

Noswaith dda! (Was at Welsh class earlier this evening.)

Kat Banyard, the Equality Illusion is also worth reading.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now