Advanced search

more men's clothes news...

(20 Posts)
slugseatlettuce Mon 17-Nov-14 07:45:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

slugseatlettuce Mon 17-Nov-14 07:46:00

TipsyTitFace Mon 17-Nov-14 07:52:16

It looks as though he changes his tie though, which makes it look different. He needs to have the same tie on everyday for the experiment to work properly.

YonicScrewdriver Mon 17-Nov-14 08:21:17

I dunno, i think a newsreader who wore a navy skirt suit but a different blouse or top under it every day would get more comments, tipsy.

TheCowThatLaughs Mon 17-Nov-14 09:19:32

A good point, well made imo. Good for him for highlighting it.

koyyu Mon 17-Nov-14 15:09:09

It's not like he has much choice does he?

Women have an almost infinite choice of clothing for both casual and formal wear.

But formal wear for men- it's a shirt and suit jacket, or a shirt and a suit jacket.

Women could easily find a completely different outfit for everyday of the year. Men can't. It's a female privilege, and a privilege feminists want to hold onto- ever noticed how over the past decades it's became acceptable for women/girls to wear or do anything a man/boy can wear, but the opposite is not true?

koyyu Mon 17-Nov-14 15:11:50

*"But women, they wear the wrong colour and they get pulled up. "-

It goes both ways. If a boy or man were to wear a colour that isn't considered "manly" he would get pulled up (and if a boy were to wear pink/purple at school he would probably be bullied out of town)

koyyu Mon 17-Nov-14 15:13:12

I'm male, and you have no idea how much more choice of clothing I would like to go out in than just simply pants, shoes and a shirt every single time.

AnnieLobeseder Mon 17-Nov-14 15:35:42

And believe me, being expected to dress in a variety of pretty frocks that are neither comfortable nor practical is not a "privilege" we're keen to hang on to. I'd love a simple "uniform" like men get to wear.

koyyu Mon 17-Nov-14 15:41:17

Women can wear pants and a suit just like men can without stigma.

I think tuxedos and top-hats are still "men-only" but that's about it.

AnnieLobeseder Mon 17-Nov-14 15:43:07

Why do you think there is a stigma about men wearing feminine clothing?

grimbletart Mon 17-Nov-14 16:31:54

Pause while koyyu's brain cells grind into gear over that one…..smile

slugseatlettuce Mon 17-Nov-14 17:02:34

AnnieLobeseder Mon 17-Nov-14 17:09:42

There's nothing stopping you wearing a dress!

Well, except the risk of being mocked by _________.

(I'll give you a clue. The answer is not "feminists".)

YonicScrewdriver Mon 17-Nov-14 18:27:17

<tap dances across thread, backwards, in heels>

KristinaM Mon 17-Nov-14 18:43:20

My son wears a bright pink shirt to school and he's the coolest kids in his class. You are at the wrong school Koyyu

SevenZarkSeven Mon 17-Nov-14 19:57:00

Fab job by that presenter.

I notice this at work so so much. The men all wear just what they wear and no-one notices unless they are exceptionally smart or exceptionally scruffy. The women are generally in clothes that are much more colourful and revealing and uncomortable shoes and a level of grooming that takes longer.

So, it's easier for men obv BUT they really can't express their individuality much. Which is a bonus in a way - it means people look at their faces while they're speaking rather than be invited to consider their legs / cleavage / makeup application / hair styling expertise / are they hot etc etc etc

I would prefer a situation where both men and women could dress as they choose, in the full range of clothing and accessories and whatnot, without fear of censure. I would imagine most feminists would agree with that.

And yes, the presenter makes an excellent point and I am wholly impressed by him grin

SevenZarkSeven Mon 17-Nov-14 19:59:43

And a woman cannot wear a man's suit and it not be noticed hmm

She can wear the female equivalent of a man's suit. Which is more fitted and generally teamed with a different style of footwear. If I went to work in men's brogues and socks and a suit with trouser shape etc as per a bloke I would get a lot of incredibly weird looks everywhere I went and a lot of people at work would ask what on earth I was up to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now