Talk

Advanced search

when do you think sexism turned to misogyny?

(19 Posts)
FuckOffGerbil Fri 14-Nov-14 08:18:43

Did actresses or celebrities who spoke out of turn in the 650s/60s/70s get rape threats and death threats thrown at them? Is this just the internet giving a new method of delivery and making it easier to do?

Or is it that now that women can be expected to have rights and a voice some (rather pathetic) men feel personally taken down a peg and it has turned to this?

Why do some men feel so threatened by women having what they have? It isn't at the detriment of them.. because women can go to university doesn't mean that men can't.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AWholeLottaNosy Fri 14-Nov-14 08:49:53

The internet has definitely given all the woman haters a risk free platform where they can say what they want and feel emboldened by others. Is it just now we really know what goes on in some men's minds when before they were more constrained by polite society?

I find it chilling how much sheer hatred there is for women. It definitely feels much worse now than a couple of decades ago.

( sorry, not a v scientific analysis, good question tho!)

Hazchem Fri 14-Nov-14 08:57:24

While I think we have always had words and threats used against us the level and speed it can be spread is just scary.
I agree with Awhole about the level of hatred towards women, it's so nasty and scary and so pervasive. Then when you start looking it's so embedded in our society. While it isn't the same as death threats Harpers Bazar ( a women's magazine) has named Julie Bishop as women of the year. Yes she is very powerful but she also thinks women should just get over sexism.

Comito Fri 14-Nov-14 09:03:34

I think it's shifted more towards misogyny as a result of women speaking out to say sexism isn't acceptable. Because we don't put up and shut up they get nasty.

Hakluyt Fri 14-Nov-14 09:05:45

Women who speak out about sexism have always been abused. But in the days before the internet it was either behind closed doors or publicly face to face. Which involves a level of organization and "courage" by the abuser not required by today's trolls.

But it happened.

AWholeLottaNosy Fri 14-Nov-14 09:08:12

Found a Guardian article on exactly this subject!

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/may/08/misogyny-worse-than-before-internet

Zazzles007 Fri 14-Nov-14 09:16:40

Its depressing how true AWhole's article about misogyny is sad

Hakluyt Fri 14-Nov-14 09:18:23

"Men who hate us don't have to go out and find us, leave the house, post an anonymous letter or go to a meeting so that they can heckle. They don't have to move an inch to be near us"

God, I love Beatrix Campbell!

But they are all saying the same thing. The hatred has always been there- the difference is the ease with which it can now be expressed.

Hakluyt Fri 14-Nov-14 09:23:27

What worries me is how easy it is to dismiss the attacks on women as "trolls" "inadequate teenagers in dank bedrooms"- just low level stuff we ought to rise above. And obviously some of it is. But the danger is that the real, long term, pervasive hatred of women might get lost in the "chatter" and not be taken seriously. Heaven knows, violence against women has always been underplayed. We need to be vigilant.

AWholeLottaNosy Fri 14-Nov-14 09:45:47

However, on the bright side, just as the misogynists can chat to each other and egg each other on, we too as feminists have this space where we can share ideas, support each other, and make real changes. I truly think there is a quiet revolution going on where women realise they don't have to take this shit. Just think of the recent online petitions re Ched Evans, Dapper Laughs etc. We do have a voice!

Hakluyt Fri 14-Nov-14 09:57:55

Oh, I do hope so. I think a lot of us older feminists are getting a bit discouraged.

cailindana Fri 14-Nov-14 10:22:29

While the rape threats, death threats etc are awful I actually think the way in which men give free rein to their misogyny online is a good thing because it is becoming harder and harder for them to gaslight us and claim there is nothing for us to complain about.

MyEmpireOfDirt Fri 14-Nov-14 10:35:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FuckOffGerbil Fri 14-Nov-14 12:03:21

Interesting article awholelo

Not adding anything as I haven't really got an answer, just confusion. SO many really truly hateful men out there and they all have screaming horrible voices. I think it must be nice to not be interested in feminism as mabey then you can just ignore the misogyny, the rape and death threats against people you find inspirational.

AWholeLottaNosy Fri 14-Nov-14 12:11:02

What I don't get tho is WHY do they ( NAM ) hate us so much..??

noddingoff Fri 14-Nov-14 13:36:20

I think there are fewer sexists, but some more misogynists than there used to be.
Back in the day, men like this didn't "need" to be misogynist because their sexist views were absolutely normal and validated by society more than they are now. They were more likely to be married - as the average age of marriage was younger - and their wife probably didn't work, or had a little trivial jobette. Society expected these men to go home after a hard day's work to dinner on the table and if they fancied a shag after and the wifey didn't, well here was no such thing as marital rape in law so she knew she'd just have to put up with it. There were a few women at university and in powerful jobs but not many, and no real competition from these women- the chap could comfortably expected to be waved past his female rival if she had her eye on a job or promotion. Sid James was a top bloke and the women- and men- in the workplace were expected to find sexist remarks, leering at breasts and a cheeky slap on a woman's arse as hilarious and a sign that the sexist was a top bloke too.
Society would only frown if he beat he shit out of his partner hard enough and often enough to cause visible damage "He knocks her about a bit"- buta little slap or two now and then to keep her in line was pretty much like slapping your pet dog with a rolled up newspaper now and then.

There was no need for him to hate women any more than he would hate his pet dog or his children- they were just there to look cute, fetch things and gaze adoringly at him to reinforce- in his own and society's eyes- his place as master of the universe.
The notion of women aspiring to equality and the feminists trying to achieve this could be safely viewed as an amusing and irrelevant joke.

Fast forward 30 years and a more competent female co-worker could be calmly walking past him into the office that comes with the promotion he wanted and his "must be shagging the boss" comment to the rest of the room meets with stony faces and turned backs rather than amused agreement. No validation there so he goes home, makes his own dinner and fires up the computer to seek solace with like-minded strangers. Hurrah! Loads of people who agree; a host of supportive comments. They must be top blokes- their views must be worth reading. And they escalate: Yeah, she's probably shagging the boss. That should have been your job. She stole it, the poisonous bitch. Bitch needs raped. In fact, any bitch who says that women can do male jobs fair and square rather than getting them by devious means/the support of soppy wet people afraid of tribunals, is a liar and needs raped. Especially if she dares to say so in public.

cailindana Fri 14-Nov-14 13:40:38

Well said nodding.

Tanaqui Fri 14-Nov-14 13:47:43

Exactly nodding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now