Talk

Advanced search

Sexist jokes breed sexism?

(16 Posts)
zerotolerancezone Tue 11-Nov-14 17:20:22

I'm adopting a new zero tolerance stance on sexist jokes, or statements etc, in any form. I am sick of it. NO MORE.

Anyway, I'm sure I read somewhere once a great study on exactly why even 'low-level' sexist jokes are a problem - something about how exposure to sexist jokes can have a negative impact on men and women, and make all sexism more acceptable even to those who say they hate sexism.

I can't seem to Google it, wondered if anyone on here can point me in the direction of something helpful?

I'd like to be prepared for comments such as, 'I'm only saying it to wind you up', and things like that.

Thanks in advance.

zerotolerancezone Tue 11-Nov-14 20:55:38

Hopeful bump

YonicScrewdriver Tue 11-Nov-14 21:34:24

Try asking in the feminist pub thread - someone might know?

Gina111 Wed 12-Nov-14 00:02:02

I also read something on this less than a year ago, but also can't find it.

<searches computer mumbling about conspiracy theory>

I remember something about how men were less likely to donate to charities supporting women after they had been exposed to sexist jokes.

FloraFox Wed 12-Nov-14 00:04:56

Sounds interesting. I'll look forward to reading it if anyone can find it.

SconeRhymesWithGone Wed 12-Nov-14 00:13:26

Is it this one?

www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/11/071106083038.htm

Amethyst24 Wed 12-Nov-14 00:19:36

Any good? jiv.sagepub.com/content/25/12/2339

Gina111 Wed 12-Nov-14 00:20:04

That's the one I was thinking about. It's women's organisations rather than charities. The study can be read in full in Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin of Feb. 2008, More Than "Just a Joke". Sorry I can't post the link.

Gina111 Wed 12-Nov-14 00:21:52

To Scone

Amethyst24 Wed 12-Nov-14 00:24:34

Or this? https://www.academia.edu/4519526/Why_did_the_woman_cross_the_road_The_effect_of_sexist_humor_on_men_s_rape_proclivity

(I've won Google, right?)

Amethyst24 Wed 12-Nov-14 00:25:51

Oh, I haven't. Cross-posted, shame-faced.

Gina111 Wed 12-Nov-14 00:31:11

So it seems likely that men have to have a certain level or type of pre-existing sexism for the "jokes" to have an effect.

sparklecrates Wed 12-Nov-14 00:40:31

Are you including the rather tiresome manflu and the 'men need mothering' crap as well? There's someone at my work who does this all the time including saying things like 'the cakes aren't for men' etc and expects us all to join in. its bloody excruciating.
Some humour is obv. to relieve frustrations but all humour that is singling out is so toe-curling. I even hate the weird acceptance of anti-french comment that is so public school. . why just why?

zerotolerancezone Wed 12-Nov-14 09:23:33

That might be it, thank you Scone! Thanks for the other one too.

What's that about cakes not being for men?

sparklecrates Wed 12-Nov-14 13:29:45

Ha! shows how tired I was I forgot to make the actual point which was how sexist people expect everyone the same gender as them to join in. . and I hate it when people expect me to join in with 'banter' because the natural reaction is a complementary sexist put down which perpetuates the cycle.

What I meant was I work in a very careful environment re behaviour but there is one women in a near by team who says things that are designed to belittle men aro UK nd her but its unchallenged. . but I am sure not accepted as such. One is when there are office cakes which is supposed to be a generous thing. . When men turn up she says 'no men' and I am expecting a retort but the men just shuffle and look embarrassed but I bet in their heads they are more likely afterwards to think something sexist funny iyswim...

zerotolerancezone Wed 12-Nov-14 13:32:53

Right, I see! Yes, sexism on both sides is wrong and I understand what you mean now smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now