Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Dapper Laughs

(37 Posts)
basgetti Mon 10-Nov-14 13:22:01

I just got an email to sign a petition to get ITV to cancel this series. I'd never heard of it so did a bit of googling, it's pretty grim reading. What on earth are ITV thinking, claiming that “his unique brand of banter and brash charm is neither sexist nor degrading to women" when it consists of shouting sexist abuse at women in the street, making rape jokes and the following comments:

"If she cries, she's just playing hard to get"

"Get your arm swing just right when you're walking and you occasionally touch a bit of * by 'mistake', they love it."

"If she's looking at me and playing with her hair, by the end of the night she'll need a wheelchair"

This stuff makes me so bloody angry. Rant over.

basgetti Mon 10-Nov-14 13:23:17

Sorry a couple of links

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/nov/08/dapper-laughs-vile-humour-misogyny-banter-itv

www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/dapper-laughs-tells-audience-member-4602725

fluffywhitekittens Mon 10-Nov-14 14:18:29

I was just looking to see if anyone had started a thread about this.

I also hadn't heard of this and now feel quite ill after googling.

Here's another link with some examples of his "Humour"

www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-08-05/is-dapper-laughs-the-future-of-comedy

I have also signed the petition.

sydlexic Mon 10-Nov-14 14:27:28

Petition on change.org.

hazeyjane Mon 10-Nov-14 14:29:14

Petition here

JohnFarleysRuskin Mon 10-Nov-14 14:32:47

signed.

AWholeLottaNosy Mon 10-Nov-14 14:35:18

I read about this yesterday and felt incensed. We don't need any more of this shit! Glad there is a petition, definitely signing it. Thanks for letting us know.

basgetti Mon 10-Nov-14 14:42:39

Sorry was trying to find a link to the petition online so it wouldn't have my details attached! Thanks to those who have posted it.

Hedgehogging Mon 10-Nov-14 14:52:51

Signed. Hadn't even heard of this programme but it sounds absolutely sickening. Thanks for the link.

LividofLondon Mon 10-Nov-14 17:17:07

No idea who he is but have just found this article which makes me even more confused confused
usvsth3m.com/post/99308655158/the-satirical-secretive-genius-behind-dapper-laughs

MonstrousRatbag Mon 10-Nov-14 17:26:05

Gosh Livid, that whole interview in your link was a bag of shite!
To save everyone else the pain of reading it, apparently it is all a satire on modern gender politics, and Dapper says, when asked about his 'comedy':

“For me, Dapper Laughs is the only mode of dialectic the patriarchy, in its current form, can allow. By adopting the formal attitudes and tropes of the dominant sexual culture, I am appropriating and subverting its power. The seeds of the destruction of patriarchy are ripening in Dapper Laughses’ womb.”

Yee-eess.
But can you imagine anyone indulging in a satire on racial politics in the same way, let alone being rewarded with a television series? I can't.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MonstrousRatbag Mon 10-Nov-14 17:34:24

I agree, it is satire and piss-take all round-the interview, and probably DL as well.

But still, people think this kind of satire fine when women are the (actual or ostensible) targets. They wouldn't, I don't think, be so relaxed if the comedy were directed at other groups. And that is telling.

AdamLambsbreath Mon 10-Nov-14 17:42:41

Signed. What a load of depressing shit.

PuffinsAreFicticious Mon 10-Nov-14 19:01:38

He's not doing a second season.

Good, rapey twat.

www.itv.com/news/update/2014-11-10/itv-decides-not-to-continue-dapper-laughs-show/

alicemalice Mon 10-Nov-14 20:39:27

Satire is one of the best ways to challenge oppression. I think there's space for someone to do this really well.

Brugmansia Mon 10-Nov-14 21:26:01

The interview linked to above was a complete piss take of dapper laughs. The same people who wrote it were then involved in the stuff last week criticising the album. They then became the target of all sorts of nasty hate stuff on twitter.
usvsth3m.com/post/this-is-what-happened-when-i-criticised-dapper-laughs-on-twitter

AWholeLottaNosy Mon 10-Nov-14 22:20:19

Just read he won't be doing a second season. Thank God!

www.theguardian.com/media/2014/nov/10/itv-drops-dapper-laughs-criticism-daniel-oreilly-misogyny

basgetti Mon 10-Nov-14 22:45:58

Good, I feel quite heartened that 60,000 people have signed the petition.

BellaSolanum Mon 10-Nov-14 23:05:20

Nice to see the petition has worked grin

BellaSolanum Tue 11-Nov-14 16:58:45

His tour has been cancelled now

AWholeLottaNosy Tue 11-Nov-14 17:21:48

Result! grin

irishe Wed 12-Nov-14 01:10:42

He was being interviewed on newsnight this evening about the second series of his show being cancelled. He has also cancelled his upcoming tour and was basically trying to distance himself from the whole dapper laughs "character".

If anyone is interested I would recommend watching it on I player. It was interesting. He looked genuinely shocked at the amount of public outrage his show had stirred up. It was strangely satisfying to see him confronted with some of his obscene material. Whether he genuinely felt it was satire or not, it felt like a victory that he realised how unacceptable it was.

He looked like a little boy who was having to grow up fast. I am sure he said at one point that his life/career had been ruined and his family were not happy with him. I found these quite child like comments. I thought he was going to cry towards the end of the interview.

I take no pleasure in his personal distress but on a wider level it feels positive that in this instance public opinion has put an end to broadcasting this misogynistic drivel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now