Talk

Advanced search

Birthday cards

(19 Posts)
susannahmoodie Sun 09-Nov-14 10:35:14

I suppose this is one example of the small ways in which reading fwr has led to me becoming annoyed with the world on a daily basis. Also I'm reading Cinderella ate my daughter, so this is v much on my radar ATM.

Today is my birthday. I've had cards from my lovely friends an family, and each of them has pics of one of the following:

Birds
Butterflies
Shoes
Flowers
Wine

In various shades of pink and purple.

Why??? I'm not particularly into any of those things. It was my dh's bday 3 weeks ago and there was no particular theme to his cards- much more diverse range of colours and images.

I'm going to make it my mission to not buy gendered cards in future.

NormaStits Sun 09-Nov-14 12:24:23

I agree, it's hard picking out cards for this reason. If it's not the above, it's a cutesy wutesy teddy bear holding an ickle wickle heart.

Mens ones aren't brilliant either, it's all boats, gardens, diy or football.

susannahmoodie Sun 09-Nov-14 12:57:37

It's ironic because dh is a horticulturalist, he loves flowers. I'm not fussed but I'm the one who gets cards with them on!

FuckOffGerbil Sun 09-Nov-14 16:16:39

Had to pop out quickly and buy an 18th bday card for someone. Went to a small shop and they only 2. One for women and one for men.

Both were the same font basically the same card except on blue and pink hmm and where they had a some booze and beer crappy clip art pictures. On the one for women they had shoes and chocs. Because 18 year old girls are super excited about chocolate and have NO interest in being legally able to drink. Nope, none whatsoever.

Amethyst24 Sun 09-Nov-14 18:10:24

I buy cards when I go to an art galleries or museums - lovely tasteful ones, often vintage magazine covers or classic paintings etc, blank inside. That way the money I spend goes to a good cause not to Hallmark, plus I always have a stash of lovely cards to choose from. smile

MyEmpireOfDirt Sun 09-Nov-14 18:20:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MyEmpireOfDirt Sun 09-Nov-14 18:27:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

scallopsrgreat Sun 09-Nov-14 20:53:03

Yy Amethyst that's definitely the way to go (if a bit expensive). Children's cards are more difficult I think.

Moonpig? <disclaimer: I've never used them or in fact been on their site!!>

Damntheclockchange Sun 09-Nov-14 21:25:17

slightly off topic but I think the worst thing is buying 90th birthday cards - they are all sickly pink and flowery. A bit difficult if you are buying for a man!

Optimist1 Sun 09-Nov-14 21:28:37

Couldn't agree more, Susannah; once I've vetoed the "girly" cards, the "cutesy bear" cards, the overly sentimental cards and the "humorous" ones that don't strike me as amusing the arty cards that MyEmpire suggests are pretty much the only ones left to buy!!

Strangely, though, I don't apply my rigorous judgements to the cards I receive - probably just grateful to receive them at all! smile

Pointlessfan Sun 09-Nov-14 21:34:39

Clockchange - I tried to buy a 90th card recently and all the writing was pale pink and swirly. I was concerned that a very elderly person might not be able to read it!
It made me feel very old the first time I realised most of my cards were flowery. Don't even get me started on children's cards. I went to buy a 4th birthday card for my niece. They were so gender specific and the girl ones all had princess castles on!

Amethyst24 Sun 09-Nov-14 21:38:33

Gosh, I've had a quick look online and you are so right, scallops.

There's a stall at Greenwich Market that does lovely animal-themed cards that would do for children - beautiful birds, cats, whales etc surrounded by things from their environment, which would be suitable for children I think, but they're not children's cards as such (no ages etc on them) and I can't find them online. So that's a big help, isn't it? blush

scallopsrgreat Sun 09-Nov-14 21:56:56

grin No worries Amethyst. I think I'll have a peruse online next time I need kids cards.

FamiliesShareGerms Sun 09-Nov-14 22:00:28

I refuse to buy birthday cards for women if the envelope is pink - small steps and all that

ThinkIveBeenHacked Sun 09-Nov-14 22:03:16

You need to start shopping at Scribbler. Card utopia.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Sun 09-Nov-14 22:04:36

an example.of Scribblers marvellousness

scallopsrgreat Sun 09-Nov-14 22:07:11

grin I love MN!

trevortrevorslattery Mon 10-Nov-14 14:01:24

I agree! I always go to Card Factory which is super cheap - 7 cards for a pound / decent quality. There are lots of gendered ones but normally some with just the words "Happy birthday" in bright colours which everyone I know receives

almondcakes Mon 10-Nov-14 15:02:10

OP, did the diverse images reflect what your three year old is interested in better than the images you received reflected you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now