Talk

Advanced search

Feminist interpretation of the JL Christmas ad (lighthearted)

(14 Posts)
Amethyst24 Fri 07-Nov-14 23:34:16

Bloody hell. I've been making the odd <cough> feminist observation to my partner in recent months. He is by no means a misogynist, and actually when we met he was probably more well versed in women's rights issues than I was.

Anyway, so the other day I said, apropos of nothing feministy at all, that he should have a look at the JL Christmas ad, and it would make him cry, because it's sweet and lovely and we both have a soft spot for penguins.

He's only just gone and posted on Twitter that the female penguin is clearly a victim of sex trafficking and has been brought to London IN A BOX for the sexual gratification of the privileged patriarchal male penguin.

AND ALL MY FRIENDS ARE AGREEING WITH HIM.

scallopsrgreat Sat 08-Nov-14 00:00:55

I haven't seen it. But didn't JL do a bit of a dodgy advert a couple of years with Billy Joel's She's Always a Woman? Now there's a song whose lyrics you need to read hmm.

Not holding out much hope for this ad!

almondcakes Sat 08-Nov-14 00:48:57

How are we supposed to know from the advert what sex either of the penguins are?

AnnieLobeseder Sat 08-Nov-14 00:56:05

almondcakes makes a valid point. We are Making Assumptions and the penguin could be gay. But sex trafficking of men is just as abhorrent a crime.

AngusAndElspethsThistleWhistle Sat 08-Nov-14 01:58:24

Straight from the Daily Mash? smile
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/arts-entertainment/john-lewis-advert-condones-penguin-sex-trafficking-2014110692534

ZingOfSeven Sat 08-Nov-14 02:26:46

stupid ad. I hate it and said so on one of the other threads.

poor boy, he does everything for his friend but he (I think it's a boy penguin) is still a miserable git.
penguin ogles people. so creepy <shudders>
penguin watches people kissing and looks forlorn (ffs!)
then comes Christmas morning, post order bride arrives, happy clappy pass the brandy.confused
hate it. no tears from me
the whole thing makes me feel uneasy

l did like the family fun scenes though

SavoyCabbage Sat 08-Nov-14 02:55:20

Have you learnt nothing from and Tango Makes Three?

rosabud Sat 08-Nov-14 08:14:30

Personally I think it's the silliest advert I've seen for ages BUT, if we're doing a light-hearted feminist angle, did anyone else notice the differences between the real and toy male penguin and the real and toy female penguin? The female penguin is smaller and shorter than the male one, has a more defined, slimmer looking upper body shape, her chest/tummy area is a brighter white and, as a toy, she has pretty, petal-shaped orange feet!! Women, when being transported across the globe for male gratification, don't forget to be decorative too! I expect that's why she arrives in a pink gift-wrapped box, except the flaw in that plan was that she had to unwrap herself, as the puffing-out-chest manly penguin would never have guessed that the pink wrapped-gift box could possibly have been for him but at least by unwrapping herself she is also accepting that, after the kiss, she will be dong most of the work in the home............

I'm aware that I will probably regret posting on this thread as, by lunchtime, surely it will be full of weeping penguin-lovers yelling "Vile, bitter feminists with your hairy arm-pits and complete lack of any joy or laughter, why do you have to ruin EVERYTHING!!!!!!!"

SavoyCabbage Sat 08-Nov-14 08:18:23

I think their toy feet are the same but the first penguin is old and the second one is new.

rosabud Sat 08-Nov-14 08:26:16

Oooh - good point!! Do you think that about the feet, though? I thought hers looked kind of more pronounced, floppier and curvier!! I'm astonished they didn't take the opportunity to put a pink bow on the top of her head as there is nothing more dangerous to a boy's chances of becoming gay than to muddle up the genders of his cuddly toys.

Mumraathenoisylion Sat 08-Nov-14 08:32:27

I like the advert but you have a point about the height (being almost 6 foot this grates on me). The plush toys sold in John Lewis are 5cm different in height between Monty and Mabel. Monty has a downward beak and Mabel's is pointed upwards (as a reveal of some sort?).

Amethyst24 Sat 08-Nov-14 11:32:39

Are there not differences in height between actual male and female penguins though? Hmm, Wikipedia says they weigh more but nothing about height that I can see.

rosabud Sat 08-Nov-14 11:41:10

I have no idea what height real male or female penguins are supposed to be. But I love it that you are prepared to spend part of your weekend googling that! smile

ZingOfSeven Sat 08-Nov-14 11:43:30

I haven't seen the toys but I imagine their beaks are different maybe because they are primed for snogging

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now