Talk

Advanced search

The Fall- okay, I'm late in the watching

(12 Posts)
Spidergirl8 Thu 06-Nov-14 20:23:07

I've just started watching The Fall. I love Stella Gibson, please someone tell me this character stays strong and uncompromising throughout! I am only on episode 4, but so far she's one of the most interesting characters in a TV drama I've watched in a while.

One review referred to The Fall as a feminist drama. Funny how the fact it has a strong female lead in it, it gets this label.....

mimithemindfull Thu 06-Nov-14 20:56:06

Strong female lead yeah maybe so but it also was as accused by many reviewers of seeming to relish the portrayal of violence against women. I feel a bit of a hypocrite though because it did not stop me watching it...

BOFster Thu 06-Nov-14 21:01:51

I agree with mimi. I watched and enjoyed Stella's character, but I was very uncomfortable at the usual fetishising of beautiful women as prey.

BOFster Thu 06-Nov-14 21:03:45

Gotta love Helen Mirren for this...

Spidergirl8 Thu 06-Nov-14 21:04:37

I know, it is a bit of a difficult one. It's almost like Stella's strong character needs to be balanced by the violence to be permissible, if that makes sense.

mimithemindfull Thu 06-Nov-14 21:12:34

BOFster - yes this does seem to be happening more frequently in popular drama I feel. I'm always in a quandary whether or not to watch though as they are often gripping stories and excellent productions too. If i remember rightly when it first went out there was a lot of discussion around there being several similar types of programmes on TV and some questions around the acceptability or otherwise of that. Art imitating life? Or life imitating art?

mimithemindfull Thu 06-Nov-14 21:15:27

Sorry rambling post .. Probably should go to bed now
2nd series starts in a couple of weeks I think blush

mimithemindfull Thu 06-Nov-14 21:17:17

Oh just seen your post with link BOFster. That's what I was on about. Ta. smile

BOFster Thu 06-Nov-14 21:18:30

I'm googling frantically with no success so far, but I'm sure I've seen some figures about the massive disparity between the real life demographics of murder victims compared to the ubiquity of attractive young women in the televisual portrayals. I'll keep looking; it was pretty shocking.

BOFster Thu 06-Nov-14 21:30:57

I still haven't found it, but here is a very good article on the topic which mentions The Fall.

mimithemindfull Thu 06-Nov-14 21:35:30

Thanks BOFster I will have a look at that tomorrow. Really got to sleep now.. <lightweight>

Spidergirl8 Sat 08-Nov-14 21:48:30

Did you see, the next series is due to start next week....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now