Talk

Advanced search

Acid attacks on women in Iran

(7 Posts)
redwarf Thu 06-Nov-14 07:30:24

ive just watched an episode of the stream from al jareeza that highlighted women being attacked on the street but so far unknown suspects.

4 womens have been attacked with acid thrown on their faces and been disfigured as result. The programme showed they had been profiled by daring to be out alone, having jobs and possibly not having the most ultra conversative dress.

This happened at the same time as a highly suspect law is being introduced that gives anyboby (read any man) the right to harass women who are not conservative enough.

i thought Iran was becoming more progressive and where is the mainstream coverage of this ?

stream.aljazeera.com/story/201411052251-0024320

Childrenofthestones Fri 07-Nov-14 22:56:59

Where is the mainstream coverage you ask?
Why should the mainstream media cover it when on a feminist forum not one person comments on what you have posted.
Over 36 hours and not a peep.
If there is no interest even here why would they think anybody else would want to know? In the same period breast feeding thread has been going strong.
First world problems eh?
I saw a blog last year about acid attacks in Pakistan. In one area (Lahore iirc) there had been over 1900 attacks in the last few years.
A gallery of these womens destroyed faces was heart breaking. The fact that they have no money for even basic reconstructive surgery makes it much much worse.
Does the uk government do anything to put pressure on Pakistan to do more to tackle these attacks.

Zazzles007 Fri 07-Nov-14 23:11:12

Your post looks pretty nasty tbh Stones. Why do you need to come into FWR and do that? And why pick on a thread that hasn't been answered yet to be nasty? It makes your post look a lot like it is coming from a bully - do you mean to make yourself look like a bully? Not terribly nice is it?

scallopsrgreat Fri 07-Nov-14 23:42:29

Thanks for that redwarf (if thanks is the right word sad).

And shock at that bill. One step forward. Two steps back. It's such a fucking struggle.

MRAs are the same the world over though stream.aljazeera.com/story/201405271418-0023763. <sigh>

Oh and what Zazzles said.

messyisthenewtidy Sat 08-Nov-14 06:19:17

Bloody hell. That's awful. Misogyny at its worst.

msrisotto Sat 08-Nov-14 06:37:31

I too am horrified by acid attacks and the under reporting of it in the press.

Badonna Sun 09-Nov-14 04:30:36

I care a lot, but I don't know what to do about it. Do you have any constructive ideas, Childrenofthestones?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now