Talk

Advanced search

Cardiff university bans 'dapper laughs' and I thinkI can see why...

(10 Posts)
TheBogQueen Wed 05-Nov-14 12:49:00

www.buzzfeed.com/patricksmith/cardiff-university-cancels-dapper-laughs-gig-after-student-p?bftw&utm_term=4ldqpgm&s=mobile

I used to dance all night in clubs when I was a student. Wearing t shirt jeans and trainers.

Things are different now

SunshineOutdoors Wed 05-Nov-14 12:54:10

I haven't heard of him before <clueless> but that Christmas single cover looks awful.

I think it's a good thing especially the emphasis on it not being about him personally, but the culture it represents. Disclaimer: I am just basing my opinion on the pictures and words in that article.

FloraFox Wed 05-Nov-14 12:56:07

Never heard of him either but looks like a good decision.

EBearhug Wed 05-Nov-14 21:28:45

I have heard of him. I caught a programme late on - can't remember what channel, but it certainly wasn't BBC4. Ah, ITV2, On the Pull, says the article. He was teaching some guy how to pull women. It was possibly the most appallingly sexist programme I've ever seen. Might even have started a thread at the time. I can feel it raising my blood pressure just thinking about it again.

Well done, Cardiff!

TheBogQueen Thu 06-Nov-14 12:41:04

Weasley looking little man. Watched the footage of him talking to some poor girl on stage "you've got great tits" and "what colour are your knickers"

It's like the 80s never happened.
<head in hands>

ClaudetteWyms Thu 06-Nov-14 13:34:25

I just watched the 40 second clip in the article and I think he actually asks her what colour her nipples are...not sure if that makes it better or worse!

Horrible little man. I truly can't believe this sort of thing is still acceptable - and on TV.

Glad Cardiff have cancelled him but why on earth did they think booking him in the first place was a good idea?

TheBogQueen Thu 06-Nov-14 21:52:08

Nipples? It never crossed my mind he was saying that!

<puts head back in hands>

UsedtobeFeckless Mon 10-Nov-14 16:04:00

There's a petition on change.org to get ITV to drop him too ...

https://www.change.org/p/adam-crozier-cancel-dapper-laughs-on-the-pull-on-itv?

AWholeLottaNosy Mon 10-Nov-14 22:33:36

Well ITV have at least cancelled his second series after a petition of 60,000 people demanded it was taken off the air...

www.theguardian.com/media/2014/nov/10/itv-drops-dapper-laughs-criticism-daniel-oreilly-misogyny

AWholeLottaNosy Mon 10-Nov-14 22:34:39

I was a feminist in the eighties and things have really gone backwards since then. We just can't take our eye off the ball, sadly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now