Talk

Advanced search

Costume for 6 year old girl - hero?

(15 Posts)
chariotsofire Mon 03-Nov-14 13:03:09

Please help! I need some ideas of a female hero my 6 year old might have heard of, be interested in dressing as for school and something that would be easy to assemble/ make.

The only ones I can think of she might not have heard of except for Elizabeth I and I don't think she's go for a wig all day at school.

She has said she'd like to be a children's book illustrator when she grows up but how do you dress as that? She is interested in drawing/ art/ craft generally but not really aware of any 'proper' artists...

YonicScrewdriver Mon 03-Nov-14 13:11:26

How about the Princess from Zog who becomes a doctor? Crown and a doctor's bag?

chariotsofire Mon 03-Nov-14 13:13:10

That's a good idea and she does love those illustrations!

Timeforabiscuit Mon 03-Nov-14 13:14:26

Florence nightingale?

Boomtownsurprise Mon 03-Nov-14 13:16:45

Our local dress up shop does a female hero outfit. Blue dress red cape and wrist bands, not quite Wonder Woman. Can you use superman as a base and just tweak it?

There wAs Firestar in the original cartoon of Spider-Man in the 80's (ultimate Spider-Man with his amazing friends ice man and Fire star)

Does she have to be someone you see? Can she just dress in red and blue and create her own super power? My dd is 4. She picked super bounce like tigger then swopped about.

nobutreally Mon 03-Nov-14 13:22:42

Does she have any favourite books that have been illustrated by a woman? She might not know the illustator, but she'll know the book. If so, I'd go with that - artists smock (shirt put on backwards, maybe daubed with paint spots), paint palette, and copy of her book?

chariotsofire Mon 03-Nov-14 13:22:53

That's an idea, I could make up a character for her.

Florence Nightingale would be a bought costume or nothing as we have nothing that would really work.

NoUnauthorisedParking Mon 03-Nov-14 13:27:11

A firefighter? If you could improvise a helmet somehow?!

unclerory Mon 03-Nov-14 13:31:53

Is this for Children in Need? Our school is asking everyone to dress as superheros and I'm not sure what to do either, I think I'll just get some red t-shirts and some fabric paint and do wonder woman or supergirl's symbol on the front. Plus a cape. I suspect I won't get away with a real life 'hero'.

chariotsofire Mon 03-Nov-14 13:34:24

Yes for Children in Need. I haven't talked to her yet, maybe she will come up with something I haven't thought of. Hopefully no princesses... although I think the name Elsa might be mentioned at some point...

AsAMan Mon 03-Nov-14 13:35:13

She is interested in drawing/ art/ craft generally but not really aware of any 'proper' artists

Teaching experience?

AsAMan Mon 03-Nov-14 13:36:09

What about Merida from Brave?

sgvnowproject.weebly.com/empowering-halloween-costumes-for-girls--where-to-buy-or-how-to-make-your-own-costume.html

YonicScrewdriver Tue 04-Nov-14 07:03:06

How's the costume making going, OP?!

rayriceisbasedgod69 Tue 04-Nov-14 13:01:52

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

chariotsofire Tue 04-Nov-14 13:07:25

Thanks for all the replies. She has gone for being a ballet dancer which is very simple costume wise and I am emphasising the strength and talent needed rather than the clothes. Better than Elsa at least!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now