Talk

Advanced search

Sticks head above parapet ... DD and hockey skirts

(74 Posts)
FrauHelga Sat 01-Nov-14 13:07:38

DDs school have a rule that the girls can't go into town after hockey unless they put joggers on. Boys are allowed to go into town in rugby shorts. She has a major issues with this and saunters out every day in her skirt.

I fear a confrontation with the PE teacher is looming. I will be asked to come in and see them.

Anyone care to help me form a coherent argument?

TheSpottedZebra Sat 01-Nov-14 13:09:18

What's the reason given?

FrauHelga Sat 01-Nov-14 13:09:41

*she has major issues

or

*she has a major issue

Typing fail. grin

FrauHelga Sat 01-Nov-14 13:10:12

It's not appropriate, or seemly for young girls.

ApocalypseThen Sat 01-Nov-14 13:10:35

I'd be asking questions of the PE teacher. They might like to explain why this rule is in place, for example, and why there isn't an equivalent rule for the boys.

JennyOnTheBlocks Sat 01-Nov-14 13:12:58

i'd advise her to wear shorts for hockey wink

FrauHelga Sat 01-Nov-14 13:13:00

That's about where DD and I are with it Apocalypse, why is this rule only for the girls?

capsium Sat 01-Nov-14 13:14:11

Why is it viewed that having her legs on display is less socially acceptable, than a male, with his legs on display?

Are girl's legs somehow more offensive than a boys?

(I'm assuming the amount of flesh which is on display is equivalent).

FrauHelga Sat 01-Nov-14 13:15:10

The boys shorts are a bit longer, but tbh not much.

I think it's a protective thing - wee girlies can't be oogled by the horrid men

Eastpoint Sat 01-Nov-14 13:16:26

DDs have skorts & before they had skorts wore cycling shorts underneath pleated skirts. Do they really just have traditional games skirts (mini kilts) nowadays? I would suggest to school that if they are not suitable to be worn outside school they shouldn't be worn for matches. It isn't as if they are doing gymnastics or swimming which need unrestricted movement.

ChippingInAutumnLover Sat 01-Nov-14 13:17:21

Oh gosh, is it bringing the school into disrepute?

hmm

Just ask how many decades ago that rule was written grin

Is it a boarding school?

JennyOnTheBlocks Sat 01-Nov-14 13:17:23

i didn't mean to wear the shorts because they were longer, sorry if i gave that impression

i meant that that would make the staff bring out all the 'wrong' in their argument against wearing kit in town

FrauHelga Sat 01-Nov-14 13:17:33

They are phasing in skorts, but anyone who has a skirt is allowed to wear it - she'll get a skort for next year.

Why should she have to wear a pair of cycling shorts underneath?

FrauHelga Sat 01-Nov-14 13:18:03

Not a boarding school grin although the notion is tempting.....wink

PuffinsAreFicticious Sat 01-Nov-14 13:18:19

Assuming the rule is there to protect the girls from predatory men.. I'd ask the PE teacher why they think so little of men that they assume that the mere sight of your daughter's legs is going to turn them into some kind of hideous sexual predator.

If it's to 'protect the standing of the school in the community', I'd be asking what is so offensive about a teenage female's legs, which isn't when it's a teenage male's.

FrauHelga Sat 01-Nov-14 13:18:47

Puffins - thank you that has articulated exactly what I've been struggling to.

TooMuchCantBreathe Sat 01-Nov-14 13:18:49

How do the shorts compare to the skirts Wrt covering bums, reaction in wind, what is worn under them? In short do they have a reasonable point or are they being sexist iyo?

Our hockey skirts barely covered our cheeks and pants were clearly visible, I'd be uncomfortable with any child leaving school like that but shorts didn't have the same issues and I'd be happy with either gender wearing them.

ChippingInAutumnLover Sat 01-Nov-14 13:18:50

Will they be 'allowed' to wear skirts into town?

CaulkheadUpNorth Sat 01-Nov-14 13:18:56

How short is it? My school hockey and netball skirts only just covered my bum and continually blew up at the tiniest bit of wind.

Chandon Sat 01-Nov-14 13:20:06

A thread for the deliberately obtuse.

FrauHelga Sat 01-Nov-14 13:20:42

True they might blow up in the wind. Her skirt isn't that short - her pants aren't visible. Although I suppose they might be if she was bending over I don't go and watch matches

FrauHelga Sat 01-Nov-14 13:21:03

Why Chandon?

JennyOnTheBlocks Sat 01-Nov-14 13:22:12

your bum is still there, even under a longer skirt hmm

oh, ya'll mean young women should cover themselves when out and about, for fear of 'setting someone off' <eyeroll>

ChippingInAutumnLover Sat 01-Nov-14 13:22:13

But surely even if they are short short short it's still up to the girls to decide if they're prepared to risk flashing their knickers or not?
They could change out if the uniform skirt and into another skirt just as short grin

capsium Sat 01-Nov-14 13:22:23

We used to wear navy PE shorts underneath our navy PE skirts. These PE shorts were like big navy pants really, as in they were short shorts and were not too bulky under the skirt.

I was glad because I wouldn't have welcomed flashing the arse of my washed out white knickers!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now