Talk

Advanced search

Great website with stats about true status of adolescent girls all over the world.

(36 Posts)
SkaterGrrrrl Wed 08-Oct-14 10:58:01

May come in useful when debating with certain trolls! smile

www.girlsdiscovered.org

PetulaGordino Wed 08-Oct-14 11:09:11

oh wow. bookmarking that to explore later, thanks

SkaterGrrrrl Fri 10-Oct-14 09:20:00

Pregnancy and childbirth related complications are the number‐one killers of girls aged 15 to 19 worldwide!!

SkaterGrrrrl Fri 10-Oct-14 09:24:24

One in every nine girls will be married before her 15th birthday. In the next decade, 14.2 million girls under 18 will be married every year.

YonicScrewdriver Fri 10-Oct-14 10:10:54

How sad.

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Fri 10-Oct-14 10:14:57

15% of girls (15-24) globally are living with HIV. shock shock shock

SkaterGrrrrl Wed 15-Oct-14 12:43:40

Shocking.

Useful facts to have onhand next time the "women don't have it so bad" brigade starts up.

marilug Wed 05-Nov-14 14:45:29

Thanks for sharing! 2/3rds of child trafficking victims are girls too.

There's a handy pdf to bookmark here: www.girlsdiscovered.org/media/v_girls_count-20140912_134102/girls_count/pdf/Girls_Discovered_Facts_Final.pdf

almondcakes Wed 05-Nov-14 16:10:44

Thanks for this OP. It is very useful.

partialderivative Wed 05-Nov-14 16:33:44

It is a very useful site and I applaud its objectives.

However, I would be careful about citing this site as a reliable source in a serious discussion. Not because I doubt the sincerity of the site holders, just that it obviously has an agenda (albeit one that we hope all would support)

Instead, look to the sources of their data. I'm sure they will be there.

FloraFox Wed 05-Nov-14 16:51:46

partial don't you think that's a tad condescending? hmm

Do you have anything to say about the data or are you just concerned that posters on the thread don't know how to use data?

partialderivative Wed 05-Nov-14 17:18:14

partial don't you think that's a tad condescending?

No.

People are always bringing statistics out of unreliable sources on this site and many others (viz MailOnline)

partialderivative Wed 05-Nov-14 17:20:01

Maybe not 'always', but it happens regularly.

Stats need to be cited.

marilug Wed 05-Nov-14 17:22:15

I took a look and the sources look pretty reliable. For instance, HIV statistics come from UNICEF and UNAIDS...

partialderivative Wed 05-Nov-14 17:27:04

marilug Thank you.

That is good to know.

strongandlong Wed 05-Nov-14 17:35:17

It looks to me like that HIV figure isn't accurately reported. The figures here (from UNAIDS) give global prevalence of HIV/AIDS in young women as 0.4%.

It's a great site apart from that though!

marilug Wed 05-Nov-14 17:41:18

I think that must be a typo. According to UNAIDS, 15% of women living with HIV are girls 15-24: www.unaids.org/sites/default/files/en/media/unaids/contentassets/documents/unaidspublication/2014/UNAIDS_Gap_report_en.pdf

I'll send them a message and let them know so they can fix it. Other than that it's a great resource!

FloraFox Wed 05-Nov-14 18:15:51

This isn't MailOnline. Just to be clear, your post did come over as condescending. It's really not necessary to pop onto a thread just to remind people to check their sources. If you had an issue with the data, that would be different.

JLKMM Thu 06-Nov-14 10:50:00

Thanks for sharing this SkaterGrrrrl! great find smile I just showed this to my hubby and we both think the maps are are actually really useful. I'm shocked by these statistics showing the birth rates before age 18!

and I had a closer look at the data and it seems reliable, this map shows that the data is from UNICEF and was updated in August 2014!

partialderivative Thu 06-Nov-14 17:15:51

To Flora Fox

This isn't MailOnline. I didn't suggest it was!! Just that people sometimes refer to it.

I am sorry if you felt I was condescending.

But I was afraid of this is a type of bollocks!

" if every rapist commits an average of ten rapes (a horrifying number, isn’t it?) then the concentration of rapists in the population is still a little over one in sixty. That means four in my graduating class in high school."

kateharding.net/2009/10/08/guest-blogger-starling-schrodinger%E2%80%99s-rapist-or-a-guy%E2%80%99s-guide-to-approaching-strange-women-without-being-maced/

This is from a guest blogger on MN

partialderivative Thu 06-Nov-14 18:05:09

Flora, would you be happy to accept stats on MN blogs? Or would you check them?

Would you be happy if others had used them? Would you check them.

Would you have checked the data that I quoted from an MN blog?

FloraFox Thu 06-Nov-14 18:15:15

It is condescending to suggest to a group of people you don't know that you have a better grasp of how to use data than they do.

You used the fact that people do this on the MailOnline to justify what you said here. When the Mail is referred to here it is usually disparagingly.

What does that blog have to do with what is on this thread? Just because a woman with a MN blog uses data in a way you don't like, doesn't mean the posters on this thread are going to do the same (if it wasn't for you rushing in with your pearls of wisdom).

Maybe it's time to stop digging.

FloraFox Thu 06-Nov-14 18:18:08

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

FloraFox Thu 06-Nov-14 18:18:19

Hole. JFC.

partialderivative Thu 06-Nov-14 18:23:55

Flora, did you check my links?

Did you notice that the stats quoted didn't actually work?

(i.e the two events were not independent)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now