Talk

Advanced search

Feminist Pub VIII: not as prolific as the Swaggerers, but there are cushions and consciousness

(1000 Posts)

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DoctorTwo Mon 07-Jul-14 19:51:17

And American craft ales. Note that major breweries are setting up their own 'craft' breweries. At least one of which has a female head brewer.

This is a shameless placemark.

almondcakes Mon 07-Jul-14 21:05:29

Hello. I'm just appearing here as I usually only roll up elsewhere in the middle of a heated debate, which seems rather rude.

OublietteBravo Mon 07-Jul-14 21:18:42

Hello. I'm going to stop lurking and start posting (the start of a new thread seems as good a time as any).

MontyGlee Mon 07-Jul-14 21:29:45

I'm going to put some PJ Harvey on the jukebox. I think she's going to be ok by the musical Bechdel...

LRDtheFeministDragon Mon 07-Jul-14 21:36:23

Ooh, hello! I like the look of this new pub, buffy.

Hope you're feeling a bit better now.

<waves to monty, almond, oubliette and drtwo>

I think since it's July, we do really need a nice pub garden. Minus wasps of course. Wasps are an emanation of the patriarchy.

MontyGlee Mon 07-Jul-14 21:40:32

grin <Waves>

UptoapointLordCopper Mon 07-Jul-14 21:54:53

Hello Bravo.

Found you. Can't shed me that easily. grin

I'm finally going to read the Golden Notebook and they haven't got it in the library. The injustice!

Pub garden - raspberries, blueberries, plums, blackberries, and scary roses. That's my garden. You are all welcome.

MontyGlee Mon 07-Jul-14 22:05:27

Doris Lessing? Well reminded, I started that and have lost it! Is it heavily recommended on here? I read Ben in the World (wasn't that two, actaully?) But Golden Notebook looked very different.

UptoapointLordCopper Mon 07-Jul-14 22:07:45

They haven't got it in the library!!!! Shall I buy a second hand copy or a kindle edition? I want a proper book. NOW!!! << trantrums >>

UptoapointLordCopper Mon 07-Jul-14 22:08:31

Sorry Monty I don't know if it's recommended on here. grin I just have a sudden fancy for it.

LRDtheFeministDragon Mon 07-Jul-14 23:04:42

Ooh, upto, your garden sounds perfect.

I can contribute tall and flowering sweetpeas from my garden. I also have grapes on the vine, cherries on the tree, and a healthy dose of smugness.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Tue 08-Jul-14 00:42:42

I would recommend The Golden Notebook, definitely.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Tue 08-Jul-14 00:45:05

<dons black polo neck to fit in with theoretical atmosphere>

<realises polo necks are a Tool of the Patriarchy that make breasts look rubbish>

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Tue 08-Jul-14 04:45:29

Hello! A garden sounds lovely; it's mid-winter here, and nothing at all is blooming. I am cheering myself up with my latest project, which at a pinch could count as a feminist project: I am reclaiming an old, disused room at the bottom of my house as mine. This is involving chipping out crumbling plaster and re-cladding the walls, as well as painting, flooring, and then decorating. It is, literally, my Room Of One's Own.

I might paint it purple.

StormyBrid Tue 08-Jul-14 08:58:27

I can provide an assortment of cats to artfully drape across sunny spots in the garden.

Also, Buffy, when the trans thread went a bit theoretical, I was reading along and grinning at your awesome mastery (mistressery?) of all the words. Very jealous. Can I be you when I grow up?

7Days Tue 08-Jul-14 09:24:08

A room of your own sounds lovely Tortoise

Sounds like a lot of work to get it ready, but really satisfying work, too

LurcioAgain Tue 08-Jul-14 09:40:46

<Borrows Doctrine's discarded black polo neck on the grounds that though it may be a tool of the patriarchy, it is also a friend of old crones with wrinkly necks>

<Dons half glasses and hopes that if she places a book on post-structuralism by her elbow some of it will somehow be absorbed by osmosis>

7Days Tue 08-Jul-14 09:51:56

that sounds like my college days studying Lurcio, bring the book to the pub and hope for the best

UptoapointLordCopper Tue 08-Jul-14 10:00:59

A room of your own. envy

I've ordered a copy of the Golden Notebook. Second hand, so it's environmentally friendly. smile Hope I don't go off the idea before it arrives. hmm

SabrinaMulhollandJjones Tue 08-Jul-14 10:09:53

Morning. brew

Tortoise I'm also envy I've always wanted a room of my own - but haven't had one since I married. DH has always 'needed' his own study, whereas I end up perched at the kitchen table. That's such a cliche in itself, isn't it?

I ordered the Golden Notebook and A Room Of My Own when Doris Lessing died but I've not got round to reading them yet. Going to dig them out now smile

allhailqueenmab Tue 08-Jul-14 11:01:05

hi, pubbers

UptoapointLordCopper Tue 08-Jul-14 11:08:00

I'm rereading an old paper of mine published right after my PhD and a bit shock at how learned it looked, mainly because I can't remember most of it. grin Maybe I'll stop thinking that my PhD thesis was no good...

This thread is not accepting new messages.