Talk

Advanced search

'Sluts embarrassing themselves'

(30 Posts)
OuterFromOutersville Tue 01-Apr-14 07:33:15

Gah, a (female) friend on FB has liked this 'Even animals are sick of 12 year old sluts!' photograph. I've de-friended.

Has anyone else seen it? I'm baffled by seemingly intelligent women not engaging with feminism.

OuterFromOutersville Tue 01-Apr-14 07:34:12

I'm tempted to write something on her wall, but she'll probably just think I'm being boring and PO confused.

SJisontheway Tue 01-Apr-14 07:38:28

No. Haven't seen it. Can you explain the context? It sounds awful.

OuterFromOutersville Tue 01-Apr-14 07:42:52

Sorry, I thought people might have seen it.

The photograph shows a young girl in a short dress posing for the camera. But a dog has picked up it's bowl and is looking at her. The caption reads 'Stop being a slut and feed me'. It's bloody awful, one of the worst things I've seen on FB.

OuterFromOutersville Tue 01-Apr-14 19:38:50

Last bump, as it's still making me cross.

TwittyMcTwitterson Tue 01-Apr-14 20:31:25

What is it that annoys you about this?

OuterFromOutersville Tue 01-Apr-14 21:07:24

EveesMummy, did I de-friend you on FB today winkgrin?

Well, referring to an apparently 12 year old girl as a slut bothers me.

The fact that a whole FB group seems to have been set up to share photos like this bothers me.

Bloody hell, all of it bothers me. Girls and women feeling that they have to behave a certain way, then being called sluts because of it.

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Tue 01-Apr-14 21:12:58

YANBU - haven't seen it but..

I hate grown women being generically* called sluts, never mind little girls.

I hate using social media to shame people who didn't give their permission to have their image used. This goes 1 million times over if they are underage.

Horrible.

*I would call my close friends (male/female) sluts in private in an admiring and affectionate way. smile

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Tue 01-Apr-14 21:13:22

Ugh.

AnyFucker Tue 01-Apr-14 21:17:55

Is this an April Fool ?

TwittyMcTwitterson Tue 01-Apr-14 21:19:12

Ha no I haven't shared it. I saw it a long time a go so I know what you mean but I can't remember what the girl looks like.

I do remember thinking that this picture was different to their normal pictures though. (I'm fairly certain I haven't 'liked' the page but my friends have so it shows. Generally, it is FEMALES embarrassing themselves. Not that the two are one and the same. Obviously.

I don't like girls being called sluts either. Especially young girls. I just wasn't too sure which bit annoyed you. I'm not sure that you could go so far as to say this is not engaging with feminism tho.

OuterFromOutersville Tue 01-Apr-14 21:20:57

I don't think so AF, although I nearly posted on my friend's wall 'Ha, you nearly got me with your April Fool's joke! As if anyone would actually post such rubbish.'.

VashtaNerada Tue 01-Apr-14 21:21:39

YANBU. I would unfriend someone for that.

AnyFucker Tue 01-Apr-14 21:23:40

Outer, that is exactly what I would have done. You would have not been unreasonable to do that at all.

JustTheRightBullets Tue 01-Apr-14 21:24:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OuterFromOutersville Tue 01-Apr-14 21:24:59

EveesMummy, I should have gone further actually - I think that liking pages like this on FB is somewhere between being sexist and misogynistic. I was being soft when I said it wasn't engaging with feminism - it's more than that, it's being part of the problem rather than not being part of the solution.

JustTheRightBullets Tue 01-Apr-14 21:25:07

JustTheRightBullets Tue 01-Apr-14 21:25:41

OuterFromOutersville Tue 01-Apr-14 21:28:47

Just, yes, I thought there was a bit of woman in the kitchen crap going on too.

AnyFucker Tue 01-Apr-14 21:32:09

In fact, I am going to log into my FB page right now. I have some nark to get rid of this evening.

TwittyMcTwitterson Tue 01-Apr-14 21:33:45

<guessing just the right bullets has an iPhone>

Yes it is exactly that. Sexist and misogynistic. Boy humour I call it. Sometimes it not offensive. Sometimes it is. I don't think the offensive ones are challenged enough. There are some horrific ones out there with a picture of a sloth whispering in a girls ear with various rape captions.

I'm a fan of sick jokes, I like a laugh. Some things are simply not funny. As for the sexualisation of young girls... I saw a Minnie Mouse bikini for two years olds last week confused

TwittyMcTwitterson Tue 01-Apr-14 21:34:25

Boy humour because a real man wouldn't find it funny...

JustTheRightBullets Tue 01-Apr-14 21:36:57

OuterFromOutersville Tue 01-Apr-14 21:39:42

Is it even 'boy' humour though? My female friend liked it, and the comments seemed to be from both males and females. Eurgh.

Go for it AF grin.

AnyFucker Tue 01-Apr-14 21:44:26

it's idiot humour, gender irrelevant

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now