Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Children's books

(9 Posts)
Astarael Sat 29-Mar-14 14:01:27

I've got an eight month old dd and am tying to be conscious of the books I'm reading to her. Obviously she doesnt understand what I'm saying at the moment but she will.

I was hoping you may have some suggestions regarding books with a feminist friendly bent. I love "The Worst Princess" by Anna Kemp - prince tries to tell princess shes got to stay in the castle and look pretty, princess sacks him off and goes off to have adventures of her own. Looking for others like that! smile

TensionWheelsCoolHeels Sat 29-Mar-14 15:44:40

Check out the website 'A Mighty Girl' for all sorts of suggestions on books/films for all age ranges. I think 'The Paperbag Princess' is the one book that springs to mind for your DD's age. My DD is almost 9 and I've just bought 'The Serpent Slayer' for her upcoming birthday - both were books recommended on the web site mentioned.

whatdoesittake48 Sat 29-Mar-14 17:00:49

Buy books meant for boys and change the name to a girls name - that should about cover it smile

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sat 29-Mar-14 17:03:25

I always say this but if there are ungendered animals, say "she" (in fact I "correct" Dinosaurs Love Underpants although all the Dinos are he in that)

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sat 29-Mar-14 17:06:04

..it's surprisingly hard to do as the default is "he "

Zog and The Snail and the Whale are reasonable.

legoplayingmumsunite Sat 29-Mar-14 23:41:42

I alternate genders if a book has only males e.g. in Dear Zoo the elephant is male, the camel is female. That way the child ends up with a perfect female puppy!

In The Magic Faraway Tree I give Jo's lines to Beth, Beths to Frannie and Frannie's to Jo. Jo cries a lot which I think is good for the kids to hear.

legoplayingmumsunite Sat 29-Mar-14 23:54:09

Picture books with female protagonists:

Madeline, Katie Morag, Simp, Borka, Rosie's Walk, The Bog Baby, The 'Katie' series about paintings, Handra's Surprise, Meg and Mog, the Worst Witch, The Little Princess, Helen Stephen's books nearly all have a female lead, Monkey and Me, Emily Brown, Silly Suzy Goose, Charlie and Lola, Millie's Marvellous Hat, Mog.

Do you know, I've just depressed myself with how few picture books we have that have a female lead. Admittedly that list above includes some of our most read books but still, out of several hundred picture books sad

Astarael Sun 30-Mar-14 15:32:46

Thanks all. It is hard Doctrine!

I had forgotten about Meg and Mog actually lego We have one of the Mog books and shes a female cat so that's good. I looked for the little princess in the bookshop yesterday but couldn't find any.

I love the tiger that came to tea but have now realised thats got messages in about daddy having a separate dinner which has been cooked specially for him by mummy. Im probably overthinking things though!

JacqueslePeacock Sun 30-Mar-14 21:03:23

We generally miss out the "daddy's" from the sentence about dinner (and the sentence about beer!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now