Talk

Advanced search

The little things...

(3 Posts)
TensionWheelsCoolHeels Sun 23-Mar-14 18:48:25

Finally got a book I'd seen either recommended here or through mighty girl - all the way from the US - and having just skimmed it, I'm delighted with it! It's for my DD's upcoming birthday and I can't wait to read it with her. It's called 'The Serpent Slayer' and it's a book of stories/fables where the main character is a woman or girl who is the hero.

What little things do you think make a wee difference to the stereotypes being peddled out there for your DC? I'm looking for any other suggestions to add to what I'm trying to do for my DD.smile

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sun 23-Mar-14 22:29:26

I try and mix up the sexes of animals in pictures, other non-gendered people such as motorbikers in leathers - my default is to say "he" and I think that's true for most so if I always say "she" except when I forget, I hope I'm balancing things a bit!

TensionWheelsCoolHeels Sun 23-Mar-14 23:44:51

That's a good suggestion - now you've mentioned it, I'm sure DD has pulled me up on saying 'he' instead of 'she' in those scenarios. And I've noticed her default is more 'she' than 'he' so at least she's more on the ball than I am smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now