Talk

Advanced search

"She said" - a new blog featuring stories etc from a woman's point of view

(9 Posts)
kim147 Sun 23-Mar-14 08:31:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ballsballsballs Sun 23-Mar-14 23:39:11

It's because we women are like the Borg, innit?

I mean, it's not like we're individual people with different experiences, hopes, dreams and so on...

funnyvalentine Mon 24-Mar-14 08:31:56

If there's a lack of women's voices in the media, why not have more women write the front page stories or main opinion pieces, about stuff that's not "women's issues"?

I'm cynical about a column that's just there to showcase female voices. The Guardian also have a "Women in Leadership" section which I think is much better as it has a purpose and has some inspirational writing on. But if the Guardian were really interested in improving things, they'd make some sort of commitment about gender ratios in their front page and editorials.

LurcioLovesFrankie Mon 24-Mar-14 13:25:33

Spot on Buffy and Funny.

Because this is what happens when women try to talk about general stuff in the public domain simply because they happen to be world experts in the field/ extremely good communicators of ideas (rather than commenting on the state of the ghetto they're expected to inhabit).

(Important disclaimer - this is also a case of intersectionality at its most obvious, because they encountered the double whammy of being women and being ethnic minorities).

slug Mon 24-Mar-14 14:33:12

Oh great. Another ghetto where the women are coralled so they can safely be ignored while still nodding in the direction of gender equality.

UptoapointLordCopper Mon 24-Mar-14 16:24:02

Thank you for the link to that article Lurcio. It articulated a lot of things for me.

funnyvalentine Mon 24-Mar-14 19:06:42

Spot on buffy smile am reminded of the bit in Mary Beard's lecture last week on bbc 4 where she pointed out that one of the places women are allowed to speak publicly on is "women's issues". A column for women to write in just doesn't really help further things - it's like saying women can only have an opinion if it's clearly labelled as a "female opinion".

I'm also annoyed about the picture they've used to illustrate it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now