Talk

Advanced search

Women get on Newsnight - so what does a DM commentator do?

(23 Posts)
kim147 Fri 21-Mar-14 22:36:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Fri 21-Mar-14 22:48:24

Let's sentence him to watch the Mary Beard documentary on repeat whilst he hand paints Rosamund Franklin onto £10 notes.

#whenfeministsadminsterjustice

kim147 Fri 21-Mar-14 22:52:20

EEatingSoupForLunch Fri 21-Mar-14 23:22:34

No he didn't OP, he said both laydeez are qualified, and I saw nothing about an apology.

kim147 Fri 21-Mar-14 23:23:36

CaptChaos Sat 22-Mar-14 09:18:04

No apology for his racism and misogyny, merely an admission that they were qualified to comment.

The DM is the vilest rag in the world.

NiceTabard Sat 22-Mar-14 13:29:54

OMFG the comments!

I would have hoped that people who read the Independent had more reasonable views than that, but the vast majority agree with the Mail ie it should have been white men talking about this topic, and the two women were "chosen" to speak in order to fit a "PC agenda" which discriminates against white men.

WTF is wrong with people? That they see a woman talking about science, let alone heaven forfend a non-white woman, and they assume she has been brought in to make the program look PC and not because she knows anything about the subject.

I find this enraging. How the fuck are women ever going to get anywhere if everyone assumes they are only there because of what they look like.

Honestly I am HOPPING MAD.

Incidentally, I love Newsnight and watch it most nights. I like the breadth and depth of the topics that they cover, and enjoy the "style" eg Paxo's extreme sarcasm. I also have noticed and appreciate that they often have women experts on, and have done for years. Sometimes, when Emily Maitliss is presenting, they might end up having a discussion about a political situation or an overseas incident or economic policy and all of the people contributing will be women, which is just so refreshing.

Now. What can I do about my blood pressure?

NiceTabard Sat 22-Mar-14 13:31:51

Incidentally, does anyone know how the Mail knows that this new discovery was made by white male scientists?

Generally with projects there will be lots of people involved and I find it hard to believe that not a single person who was not white or male was involved at any point confused

NiceTabard Sat 22-Mar-14 13:32:30

And no the wanker didn't apologise.

NiceTabard Sat 22-Mar-14 13:36:02

"This pattern, basically a curling in the polarization, or orientation, of the light, can be created only by gravitational waves produced by inflation. “It looks like a swirly pattern on the sky,” says Chao-Lin Kuo, a physicist at Stanford University, who designed the BICEP2 detector. "

From here here which looks like the discovery they have talked about. My guess is that Chao-Lin Kuo is not caucasian (of course I could be wrong!).

HOWEVER my point is that does he KNOW that white men made this discovery, or is he ASSUMING? I am guessing the latter.

Would be great to find a pic of the project team grin

NiceTabard Sat 22-Mar-14 13:50:31

Buffy we should probably do that.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sat 22-Mar-14 13:52:02

I think one of the original two on Newsnight made the point in her comment to the DM that it was a multi-national team who made the advance.

vesuvia Sat 22-Mar-14 13:54:08

Photo of some of the BICEP2 scientists including some women.

NiceTabard Sat 22-Mar-14 13:55:40

Those comments make me sad, really.

One man has just said that newsnight used to be good until it got taken over by feminazi scum and now he switches it off every time he sees a woman.

WTF is this man like to work with. Jesus wept.

HomeHelpMeGawd Sat 22-Mar-14 14:11:16

It was such an awful episode from the DM. Predictably vile. You can, however, cheer yourself up with this amazing lovely video of the discovery being reported to the theoretical physicist who first predicted it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlfIVEy_YOA

Watching this makes my world seem so small, somehow. So trivial.

vesuvia Sat 22-Mar-14 14:38:36

The Daily Mail has published figments of their columnist's imagination, not letting facts interfere with the fiction that they use in furthering their agenda.

NiceTabard Sat 22-Mar-14 20:43:43

This ties in with how people talk about women being "erased" from history etc.

So the team that discovered this included people who were non white and / or female.

The man in the DM writing a piece imagined that a scientific discovery in the realm of Physics must have been made by white men.

He then publishes the idea that this discovery was made by white men to the readership of the Newspaper. Uses that incorrect idea to put down two female experts talking about the discovery on a serious television program. And sets off a whole load of internet comment about how women can't do science, they're only ever on things as "experts" to meet quotas, and that white men are being discriminated against because of this.

So essentially, he discriminated against non white people and women hugely and fundamentally by stating that there were none involved in a project when there were, and used this as a proof that white men are discriminated against.

It's utterly mind-bending.

samandi Mon 31-Mar-14 09:31:32

What an idiot confused They're certainly not all white and, unless my eyes deceive me, not all male. They may not even all be American, but seeing as I'm not a journalist who should be concerned with getting my facts straight I can't be bothered to google them all.

samandi Mon 31-Mar-14 09:32:21

Exactly Tabard - it is easy to see how women get erased from history.

samandi Mon 31-Mar-14 09:33:42

Nope, they weren't all American either :-) What a surprise.

legoplayingmumsunite Mon 31-Mar-14 22:59:33

And on that lovely youtube video did anyone notice Professor Renata Kallosh, yet another non-American female professor of Astrophysics. It's almost like there's quite a few female professors in this world. Shocking isn't it.

BBC2 has been quite active at finding female 'authority figures' to have on its programmes and it's such a lovely channel to watch (along with BBC4) because there are lots of female scientists and historians and economists. It's so sad to think some people look at a discussion between 3 women and think 'quotas'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now